Radnorshire, Wales Genealogy
The county was created following the Act of Union of 1535, between Wales and England. The county town was initially New Radnor (Welsh: Maesyfed) but this was later replaced by Presteigne (Welsh: Llanandras). The administrative county of Radnorshire, with an elected county council, was created in 1889 by the Local Government Act 1888. The county was governed by an elected county council, who took over the functions of the Quarter Sessions courts. Llandrindod Wells (Welsh: Llandrindod) became the new county town. The county was mainly rural and agricultural and has always been the poorest in Wales.
Motto: Ewch yn Uwch (English: Higher and Higher)
Chapman Code: RAD
- Radnorshire Nonconformist Records
- Radnorshire Poor Law Unions
- Court records provide an opportunity to learn about people in Wales that may not be found as expected in church records. The Court of Great Sessions produced an extensive series of records. See Radnorshire Great Sessions Records for details.
- Parish: an area of varying size under the responsibility of a clergyman of the Church of England/Church in Wales
- Hundred: an administrative subdivision of a county, usually a group of two or more parishes
- Sub-district: comprised of more than one civil parish
- Registration District
- Poor Law Union