Rampside, Lancashire Genealogy
RAMSYDE, or Rampside, an ancient chapelry, lying within the parish boundaries of Dalton in Furness, Lancashire union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 5¼ miles south by east from the town of Dalton. The chapel was built by at least 1652 and then rebuilt by 1840. 
Rampside is a village in Cumbria, since 1974 (historically Lancashire), located a few miles south-east of the town of Barrow-in-Furness, in the north-western corner of Morecambe Bay on the Furness peninsula.The modern parish is in the Diocese of Carlisle.
There is evidence that the village was inhabited as early as 1292, in the records of the monks of Furness Abbey, though Viking and Roman artefacts have been found in the village's church. As well as agriculture, the village acted as a small port, with shipping trade coming to Furness Abbey through Roa Island, which itself was defended by the fortified Piel Island, both around one mile south of Rampside.
Thomas Lawson, a herbalist and botanist, was born at Rampside in 1630 and became minister at the village church. He invited George Fox to preach from the pulpit after one Sunday service, and subsequently became a Quaker himself in 1653. He published various religious works and died in 1691.
Rampside lighthouse, also known as The Needle, was built in the 19th century.In the late 18th century, the village had a reputation as a bathing resort; at the time, it was larger than Barrow-in-Furness, which was still a small hamlet. The poet, William Wordsworth, is known to have frequented the village at this time, staying at what is now known as the clarkes hotel. His memory of his time at Rampside and his view towards Piel Castle led him to write the following in 1805 :
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Church of England
Rampside chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Dalton in Furness to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk (£)|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk|
|RAMPSIDE Chapelry (1836) Indexes|
| DALTON IN FURNESS PARISH Indexes (ancient parish containing RAMPSIDE Chapelry)|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Rampside and comprising the whole ancient parish of Dalton in Furness to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the DALTON IN FURNESS PARISH page.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306915.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- [The chapel was built by at least 1652 and then rebuilt by 1840. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 633-638..