Ramsbottom, Lancashire Genealogy
RAMSBOTTOM, an ecclesiastical parish, in the parish and union of Bury, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 4½ miles (N.) from Bury; containing 3700 inhabitants. This parish was formed in 1844, under the provisions of the act 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37; and is a mile and a quarter in length and about three-quarters of a mile in breadth, being in the township of Lower Tottington, and forming part of the rich and beautiful valley that extends from Bury to the vale of Rossendale. The village is rapidly increasing in buildings and population, and is likely to become, ere long, an important town. The late Sir Robert Peel, father of the present baronet, commenced his manufacturing career at Ramsbottom, and here acquired a large portion of his wealth; he may, indeed, be regarded as the founder of the place. The population is chiefly employed in cotton spinning and printing; here are the cotton-works of Messrs. Ashton, and the cotton and print works of Messrs. Grant, two of the largest and wealthiest firms in Lancashire. The parish is separated from the northern part of Walmersley township by the river Irwell; and the East Lancashire railway has a station here. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of Manchester, alternately; net income, £150 per annum: first incumbent, the Rev. James Hornby Butcher. The church, built in 1847, is a small structure in the pointed style, with a handsome tower and spire, and is a good specimen of ecclesiastical architecture: the cost, £3000, was raised by subscription There are places of worship for Presbyterians, Wesleyan Methodists, Primitive Methodists, and Swedenborgians.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 633-638. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51230 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.
St Andrew’s Church, the oldest church in Ramsbottom, was built by the Grant family in 1834 as a Scottish Presbyterian Church. In the 1860's a member of the Grant family deprived the congregation of its church and in 1869 offered it to the Bishop of Manchester as an Anglican Church. It became a mission church to St Paul’s until 1875 when it was consecrated as the Parish Church of St Andrew. In 1993 the church was renovated and rededication took place in in 1994.
St Paul,Crow Lane was founded in 1844
The church of St. Paul is a stone building in the Early English style, erected in 1850 at a cost of £3,400, and consists of chancel, nave, vestry, north aisle, south porch, organ chamber and a tower with spire containing 8 bells, hung in 1879 : the organ was the gift of the late W. Grant esq. : memorial windows have been inserted to the late Viscount Palmerston K.G. d. 18 Oct. 1865, W. Grant esq. of Nuttall, J. Heys esq. and others; and there is also a marble monument to the late J. Kellar esq. of Irwell Mount (1862) : in 1866 an addition to the church. now called the Palmerston aisle, was made at a cost of £985 : there are 600 sittings. The register dates from the year 1847. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £300, in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Manchester alternately, and held since 1893 by the Rev. J. J. Lewis M.A. of Keble College, Oxford.
from Slater's Directory, Lancashire 1895
Ramsbottom St Paul is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1844 from Holcombe, Lancashire Ecclesiastical Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Tottington Lower End.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.