Ramsey County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Ramsey County Minnesota genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Ramsey County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||October 27, 1849|
|County Seat||St. Paul|
|Address|| Ramsey County Courthouse|
15 Kellogg Blvd W
St. Paul, MN 55102
Ramsey County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Clerk District Court has birth and death records from 1870,
marriage records from 1850,
divorce and court records from 1900
and probate records from 1849.
Historical Society has court records
1858-1899 and land records. 
1849--Ramsey County was created 27 October 1849 from old St. Croix County in Wisconsin Territory.
County seat: St. Paul 
- For a brief history of how Ramsey County was named, click here, then select Ramsey County.
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- St. Paul
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, St. Paul, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
St. Mathew's Lutheran Church
- Records of the St. Mathew's Lutheran Church, Ramsey County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Fold3.com ($) has Minneapolis City Directories 1865-1923 (4 yrs. missing) available online.
- Fold3.com ($) has St. Paul City Directories 1863-1924 (4 yrs. missing) available online.
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Ramsey – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Ramsey County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Civil War service men from Ramsey County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Ramsey County.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry (Mounted Rangers), Company G.
- - 1st Battalion, Minnesota Infantry Volunteers, Company A.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies A and F.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Heavy Artillery, Companies G and H.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies B, D, F, G, H, I and K.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry, Company A.
- - 3rd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company B.
- - 4th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies E, G, and K.
- - 5th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies D, E, F, and I.
- - 6th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies A and G.
- - 7th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company H.
- - 8th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies H and K.
- - 10th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies H and K.
- - Brackett's Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry, Companies A and C.
- - Hatch's Independent Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry, Companies A and D.
- - 2nd Minnesota Company Sharpshooters, Second Company only.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Ramsey County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
The appeal . : (Saint Paul, Minn. ;) 1889-19?? African-American newspaper. More than 1,500 issues between 1889 and 1922 have been digitized and are fully searchable on-line at the Library of Congress, Chronicling America website.
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Ramsey County, MN Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- Family History Library Catalog
- Ramsey County Genealogy (Minnesota Genealogy)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Ramsey County, Minnesota page 367, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).