Ramsey County, North Dakota Genealogy
Ramsey County, North Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Ramsey County, North Dakota|
Location in the state of North Dakota
Location of North Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||January 4, 1873|
|County Seat||Devils Lake|
|Address|| Ramsey County Courthouse|
524 4th Ave #4
Devils Lake, ND 58301
Ramsey County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Clerk District Court has birth, death and burial records from 1890,
divorce and court records; County Judge has marriage and probate records;
Register of Deeds has land records
- Records of St. Olof's Lutheran Church, Devil's Lake, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
When the United States acquired North Dakota, most of the land became available for homesteading or purchase from the federal government. For more information on this, see North Dakota Land and Property.
After land was transferred from the government to private owners, the registrar of deeds in each county recorded the land transactions in the form of deeds and mortgages.
Local histories are available for Ramsey County, North Dakota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section North Dakota Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Ramsey County, North Dakota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records of North Dakota are at the county clerk's office.
- For selected estate case rulings, see North Dakota Supreme Court.
- See also North Dakota Probate Records.
Tax records are at the county treasurer's, auditor's or clerk's office, or the state archives.
Vital Records (birth, marriage, death, and divorce records) may be recorded on registers, certificates, or other documents at the county clerk's office.
- See also North Dakota Vital Records for more information.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Ramsey County, North Dakota Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Ramsey County, North Dakota. Page 525 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).