Difference between revisions of "Rangeley, Maine"
|Line 39:||Line 39:|
Revision as of 17:50, 1 October 2013
- Not to be confused with mega-plantation Rangeley Plantation (T2 R1; T3 R1; T2 R2; and T3 R2) of which the town was earlier part. Nor to be confused with the nearby smaller modern plantation (T3 R1) of the same name.
Rangeley is a town on the west central side of Franklin County. A place called Rangeley Plantation was first organized in 1840, but by 1845 it was part of a multi-township plantation called Plantations 2 and 3 R1 and 2 and 3 R2 formed from:
but that long name was changed to Dallas Plantation in 1845, and changed in turn to Rangeley Plantation in 1852. In 1855 the Town of Rangeley (T3 R2) was set off from a portion of that plantation, and that town continues to today. The large multi-township plantations were abolished in 1859, and left-over Rangeley Plantation was split into its three remaining parts, including the modern, smaller Rangeley Plantation (T3 R1). 
Libraries and Historical Societies
- Maine Historical Records Survey Project, Division of Professional and Service Projects, Work Projects Administration, Counties, Cities, Towns, and Plantations of Maine: a Handbook of Incorporations, Dissolutions, and Boundary Changes (Portland, Maine: The Survey, 1940), 103 (digital p. 112). A digital version is available via a link in the FHL Catalog.
- Rangeley Plantation, Franklin County, Maine, Franklin County, Maine in Maine Genealogy (accessed 30 September 2013).
Adjacent towns: Franklin Co.: Dallas Plantation | Davis Township | Lang Township | Rangeley | Sandy River Plantation | Oxford Co.: Township 4 R2 WBKP (Adamstown Twp) | Lower Cupsuptic Township | Township 4 R1 WBKP (Richardsontown Twp)