Rankin County, Mississippi Genealogy
Guide to Rankin County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 Land
- 4.6 Local Histories
- 4.7 Maps
- 4.8 Military
- 4.9 Newspapers
- 4.10 Probate
- 4.11 Taxation
- 4.12 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Rankin County Courthouse
211 E Government Street
Brandon, MS 39042
Phone # 601-825-2217
Rankin County; 211 E Government St; Brandon, MS 39042; Ph. 601.825.1469 Details: (Clk Chan Ct has div, pro & land rec from 1829)
Places / Localities
Seven Incorporated cities
Brandon incorporated in 1831; population >17,317
Pearl incorporated in 1973; population>21961
Florence incorporated in 1905; also known as Steen's Creek; population >2400
Flowood incorporated in 1953; population >5000
Pelahatchie-named from Choctaw word meaning 'crooked creek, incorporated in 1904; population 1500
Puckett community; population 400
Richland incorporated in 1975; >6000'
For tips on accessing Rankin County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Brandon Baptist Church
First Baptist Church of Brandon
Community Christian Church
New Life Christian Fellowship
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints-Brandon Ward
St. Luke's Episcopal Church, Brandon
- 1858-1927 - St. Luke's Episcopal Church, Brandon, Baptism Index 1858-1927. Batch C714341 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1842-1921 - St. Luke's Episcopal Church, Brandon, Marriage Index 1842-1921. Batch M714341 at FamilySearch - free.
Crossgates United Methodist Church
First United Pentecostal Church
Briarwood Presbyterian Church USA
Lakeside Presbyterian Church, E.P.C.
- Family Maps of Rankin County, Mississippi Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Civil War service men from Rankin County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Rankin County.
- - 4th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company E - Ramsey’s Company
- - 10th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Old)
- Company G - Rankin Rifles
- - 10th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (New)
- Company H - Rankin Rifles [also listed as Co. A]
- - 6th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company A - Rankin Rough & Readies
- Company B - New Guard
- Company I - Rankin Greys
- 1828-1923 - Rankin County Marriage Books 1-15 and A-E Index 1828-1923 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Rankin County Historical Society
P.O. Box 841
Brandon, MS 39043
Brandon Public Library (601)825-2692
Central Mississippi Regional Library System (601) 825-0100
G. Chastaine Flynt Memorial Library (601) 919-1911
Pelahatchie Public Library (601) 854-8764
Reservoir Library (601) 992-2539
Richland Public Library (601) 932-1836
Family History Centers
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f2/Igimississippip.pdf.