Rhode Island, State Census, 1935 (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- 1 This wiki article describes a collection that is available for free online at FamilySearch Record Search -- Pilot Site. To access the collection see
- 2 Collection Time Period
- 3 Collection History
- 4 Collection Description
- 5 How to Use This Collection
- 6 Bibliographic Information
- 7 Related Articles
This wiki article describes a collection that is available for free online at FamilySearch Record Search -- Pilot Site. To access the collection see
Collection Time Period
The census was taken in January-March 1936 but was a list of the State’s inhabitants as of 1935.
Rhode Island began taking its own state census every ten years in 1865 and continued through 1935; however, the 1895 census is missing. The 1935 census was recorded by enumerators directly onto punch cards which were then arranged alphabetically by county, then by township (not by town), and then by surname and given name. Includes most individuals within the counties enumerated.
Why This Collection Was Created
The state census was taken in order to enumerate the population for representation purposes.
Censuses are usually reliable, depending on the knowledge of the informant and the care of the census enumerator. Information may have been given to a census taker by any member of the family or by a neighbor.
Census data was recorded on punch cards which remain in good condition.
Key genealogical facts found in the Rhode Island census are:
- Name of individuals living at the address in 1935
- Date of birth
- Country of birth
- Naturalization status
- Usual and present occupation and employment status with name of employer
- If head of family, number in family
- Marital status
- If at school, name of school and grade
- Any physical disabilities the individual has or if the individual has ever had measles, scarlet fever, diphtheria, or the Schick Test
How to Use This Collection
Census records are the best source to quickly identify a residence. Use the place of residence and the birthplace for each person along with his or her birth date to search for birth information. People enumerated in the census are recorded individually as the census records do not show individuals in family groups.
Rhode Island. 1935 state census, population schedule. Rhode Island State Archives, Providence. FHL microfilm, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
This section of the article is incomplete. You can help FamilySearch Wiki by supplying links to related websites here.