Richland County, South Carolina History Local
Online Resources for local history
Richland County Conservation Commission Cultural Heritage Resources - an online inventory of known historic properties in Richland County SC
Historic Columbia Foundation - Historic Columbia Foundation manages four historic house museums and their associated artifacts.
Walker Local History Room digital collection - features images from the Columbia Army Airbase, Lower Richland County historic houses and several additional collections.
- Moore, John Hammond. Columbia and Richland County: A South Carolina Community, 1740-1990. Columbia, S.C.: University of South Carolina Press, 1993. FHL Collection 975.771 H2m.
- By Edward J. Cashin in The South Carolina Historical Magazine, Vol. 94, No. 3 (Jul. 1993):213-214. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
- By G. Wayne King in The Journal of Southern History, Vol. 60, No. 2 (May 1994):366-367. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
- By Rodger E. Stroup in The Journal of American History, Vol. 81, No. 1 (Jun. 1994):242-243. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
- Moore, John Hammond. Columbia and Richland County : a South Carolina Community, 1740-1990. (Columbia, South Carolina : University of South Carolina Press, c1993). 521 pages. Family papers, reminiscences, institutional histories, census returns, official and unofficial documents, files of local newspapers, personal recollections and casual conversations have all contributed to this history. Book found at FHL 975.771 H2m and Other Libraries
- Shoolbred, Florence Wilson. Places and People of Interest in Lower Richland. 23 leaves. Communities, churches, early schools, homes and plantations, Hopkins, Eastover, Congaree, Acton, Eastover area, Gadsden, Wateree. Article can be found at Richland Library.