Rio Grande County, Colorado Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Brief History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Repositories
- 6 References
Rio Grande County Courthouse
925 6th; PO Box 160;
Del Norte, CO 81132-0160;
County Clerk Recorder has marriage records from 1876
and land records from 1874; Clerk County Court has
divorce, probate and court records
- Before 1861 this modern Colorado county was in New Mexico.
- 9 January 1852 it was created part of Taos County in New Mexico Territory. 
- 28 February 1861 it was transferred to Colorado  (1 Nov 1861 Guadalupe County).
- 7 November 1861 the name was changed from Guadalupe County to Conejos County.
- Look for pre-1861 records in New Mexico. For further explanation see Taos County.
- 1874 Rio Grande County was created 10 February 1874 from Conejos and Costilla Counties. County seat: Del Norte.
Places / Localities
- Monte Vista County, Colorado BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Rio Grande County, Colorado Genealogy census records online, see: Colorado Census.
Land and Property
Colorado State Archives put has an Index of Rio Grande County teacher certificate applications for the years 1874-1893 on-line. Index gives only the name and the date.
Societies and Libraries
Carnegie Public Library
120 Jefferson Street
Monte Vista, CO 81144
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Family History Center
100 San Francisco Creek Dr
Del Norte, Rio Grande, Colorado, United States
This is not a mailing address. Due to limited staff, Family History Centers are unable to respond to mail inquiries.
Contact Center for open hours as they vary.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 101, Rio Grande County, Colorado. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920 (Baltimore: Genealogical Publ., 1987), 52. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 X2th.
- Brief County Histories (New Mexico) in RootsWeb (accessed 21 June 2012).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Colorado Territory" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopeida at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Territory (accessed 19 June 2012).
- Adrian B. Ettlinger, AniMap 3.0 : with SiteFinder U.S. place name database (Alamo, Calif.: Gold Bug, 2008), Colorado 1861 map. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL CD-ROM no. 4903.
- Handybook, 97, Conejos County, Colorado, and 99, Guadalupe County, Colorado.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Guadalupe County, Colorado Territory" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guadalupe_County,_Colorado_Territory (accessed 23 June 2012).