Roane County, West Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Roane County West Virginia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Roane County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
200 Main Street
Spencer, WV 257601497
- County Clerk has birth, marriage, death, probate, and land records from 1856
- Roane County, West Virginia Government
- Roane County, West Virginia Chamber of Commerce
See an interactive map of Roane County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Roane County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
- [Ashley] Ross, Clara Mae. John Thomas Ashley (1838-1923), His Ancestors of Surry County, North Carolina, His Descendants of Roane County, West Virginia, and Related Families. Colfax, N.C., n.d. FHL Collection.
Bishop, William Henry: History of Roane county, West Virginia, from the time of its exploration A.D. 1927
Regiments. Service men in Roane County, West Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Roane County, West Virginia Genealogy:
- - 3rd Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry and Infantry) (Confederate). Company G.
- - 14th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company N (Night Hawk Rangers).
- - 19th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company C.
- - 30th Battalion, Virginia Sharpshooters (Clarke's) (Confederate). Company F.
- - 36th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (2nd Kanawha Infantry) (Confederate). Company B (Logan County Wildcats), Company C (Chapmanville Riflemen), Company D (Boone Rangers), Company E (Raleigh Rangers), and Company G (Western Riflemen).
- - 60th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (3rd Regiment, Wise Legion) (Confederate). Company G (The Roane Rangers).
Records and histories are available, including:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Blue and Gray Trail Roane County, West Virginia
- West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
Roane County, West Virginia Will Books 1857 - 1968
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
- West Virginia Vital Records - Birth - Death - Marriages. See also How to order West Virginia Vital Records or order electronically online.
. Includes marriages 1856-1858, 1860-1967 - free.
Societies and Libraries
Roane County Historical Society
P O Box 161
Spencer, WV 25276
Roane county Library -census records and more
- Family History Library
- Cyndi's List for West Virginia
- Roane County, West Virginia Families USGENWEB
- Roane County, West Virginia Wikipedia
- National Register of Historic Places Roane County
- Roane County, West Virginia Bridges
- Rhodes families of Roane County, West Virginia
- Roane County, West Virginia Commons
- Roane County, West Virginia enotes
- Biographies - Roane County, West Virginia
- New River Notes Memoirs of Daniel W. Cunningham: The Criminal Histor of Roand and Jackson Counties
- Meadows Family
- Roane County, West Virginia Photos Interesting
- Roane County Library Family Histories
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Robert J. Driver, 14th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, c1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 47.
- Richard L. Armstrong, 19th and 20th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 101.
- Michael West, 30th Battalion Virginia Sharpshooters (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1995). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 108.
- J.L. Scott, 36th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1987). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 36.
- J.L. Scott, 60th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1997). FHL book 975.5 M2vr v. 130.