Difference between revisions of "Robeson County, North Carolina Genealogy"
|Line 179:||Line 179:|
==== Family History Centers<br> ====
==== Family History Centers<br> ====
*Introduction to LDS Family History CentersIntroduction to LDS Family History Centers
*Pembroke North Carolina Family History CenterPembroke North Carolina Family History Center
== Web Sites ==
== Web Sites ==
Revision as of 01:05, 11 June 2013
Guide to Robeson County North Carolina genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Robeson County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church Records
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 Education
- 4.6 Genealogy
- 4.7 Land
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Military
- 4.11 Newspapers
- 4.12 Probate
- 4.13 Taxation
- 4.14 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
<a href="http://www.nccourts.org/county/robeson/default.asp">Robeson County Courthouse</a>
500 N Elm Street P O Box 22
Lumberton, NC 28358
Register of Deeds has b rec from 1913
marriage records from 1787
death records from 1915
and land records from 1799, Clerk Superior Court has divorce
and court records from 1920 and probate records from 1868
Many free African American families moved to Robeson County from Virginia in the 1700s.
1787--Robeson County was created from <a href="Bladen County, North Carolina">Bladen</a> County.
County seat: Lumberton 
Many of the court records are missing.
- Dillon County, South Carolina
- Horry County, South Carolina
- Marlboro County, South Carolina
- Ash Pole. Organized 1796.
- First Baptist Church, Lumberton, N.C. 
- Saddle Tree Creek. Constituted by 1788.  Lemuel Burkitt and Jesse Read, A Concise History of the Kehukee Baptist Association: From Its Original Rise Down to 1808 (1808), Chapter 16. Digital version at 
- [Book]  Enter into his gates history of the First Presbyterian Church, Maxton, North Carolina, 1878-1958.  - available online via the Eastern NC Digital Library
- [Book] Year book and directory of the Rowland Presbyterian Church, Rowland, N.C - available online via the Eastern NC Digital Library
-  Robeson County College Students; a name list of students at various NC colleges with identified hometowns in the county; via NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
-  Flora McDonald College yearbooks - from 1921-1961; via the Internet Archive
-  Students Yearbooks. Presbyterian Junior College yearbooks
- from the mid 1930s - 1960s; via the Internet Archive
-  UNC-Pembroke yearbooks- from the 1940s to the 1980s; via the Internet Archive
- [Book]  Flora McDonald College - published by Ralph Walter Page in 1920.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Lewis] Lewis, J.D. My Neck of the Woods: The Lewis Families of Southeastern North Carolina and Northeastern South Carolina. Little River, S.C.: J.D. Lewis, 2002.
-  Misc county deeds- transcriptions submitted to the NCGenWeb Archives.
- Maps of Robeson County - online map images via the NC Maps collection.
Civil War service men from Robeson County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies and regiments that were formed with many men from Robeson County.
- 51st Regiment, North Carolina Militia Company F
-  Newspapers published in Robeson County - a listing of newspapers published in the county libraries that hold them; via the Library of Congress.
-  Misc. newspaper articles - submitted to the NCGenWeb Archives
-  Robeson County residents in the newspaper - name listing of people from the county as located in misc. newspaper articles; time span varies. Articles indexed in the NC People in the Papers database.
- Pre-1790 -  ;Pre-1790 Robeson County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. North Carolina Probate Records#Proved_in_North_Carolina Website tips.
- 1783-1966 -  Bonds and records (North Carolina), 1736-1957 have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
-  Misc. Robeson County wills - transcriptions submitted to the NCGenWeb Archives
Uncertified copies of vital records can be ordered for a small fee from the Register of Deeds. Please <a href="http://www.durhamcountync.gov/departments/rgds/">visit their website</a> for more information.
-  North Carolina Births and Christenings, 1866-1964 - search this name index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state; via FamilySearch.
- 1850-1944 - Robeson County Marriage Index 1850-1944 in IGI at FamilySearch - free.
-  Robeson County Marriages- via NCGenWeb
-  Misc. Robeson County Marriages - submitted by users to the NCGenWeb Archives
-  North Carolina Marriages, 1762-1979 - search this database of marriages from across the state - images included; via FamilySearch  Robeson County marriages - may be included throughout Carrie Broughton's 6-volume index of the Raleigh Register & State Gazette newspaper (1799-1893). Marriages are listed by year and PDF files are searchable. Available on the North Carolina Digital Collections website.
-  ;Misc. Robeson County Obituaries - via the Durham County NCGenWeb Archives
-  North Carolina Death Certificates, 1906-1930 - search a statewide collection of freely available death certificates - images are included; via FamilySearch
-  North Carolina Deaths & Burials, 1898-1994 - search death records from across the state; via FamilySearch
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- <a href="http://ncgenweb.us/robeson/">Robeson County NCGenWeb</a> - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- <img _fck_mw_template="true" _fckrealelement="5" _fckfakelement="true" src="https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/extensions/FCKeditor/fckeditor/editor/images/spacer.gif" class="FCK__MWTemplate">
- &lt;i&gt;Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America&lt;/i&gt;, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Robeson County, North Carolina. Page 512 &lt;img _fck_mw_template="true" _fckrealelement="20" _fckfakelement="true" src="https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/extensions/FCKeditor/fckeditor/editor/images/spacer.gif" class="FCK__MWTemplate"&gt;; &lt;img _fck_mw_template="true" _fckrealelement="19" _fckfakelement="true" src="https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/extensions/FCKeditor/fckeditor/editor/images/spacer.gif" class="FCK__MWTemplate"&gt;.
- &lt;i&gt;The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America&lt;/i&gt;,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Lemuel Burkitt and Jesse Read, A Concise History of the Kehukee Baptist Association: From Its Original Rise Down to 1808 Chapter 16. Digital version at" St Paul's Seminary website "Ashpole Church," North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program, accessed 22 October 2012.
- First Baptist Church, Lumberton, North Carolina; one hundred years of Christian witnessing, 1855-1955 available online via the Eastern NC Digital Library
- George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:491.
- http://stpaulsseminary.com/Sophomore%20Year/Department%20of%20History/Ecclesiastical%20History/First%20Semester/Baptist%20History/Baptist%20History%20Collection/LIBRARY/Lesson%2021.PDF" _fcksavedurl= stpaulsseminary.com] St Paul's Seminary website.fckLR
- [http://www.usgwarchives.net/nc/robeson/robesonnews.htm usgwarchives.net}
- Bonds and records (North Carolina), 1736-1957
- North Carolina Births and Christenings, 1866-1964
- International Genealogical Index
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at familysearch.org familysearch.org
- http://ncgenweb.us/robeson/vital.htm Robeson County Marriages]
- Robeson County marriages
<img _fck_mw_template="true" _fckrealelement="0" _fckfakelement="true" src="https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/extensions/FCKeditor/fckeditor/editor/images/spacer.gif" class="FCK__MWTemplate">
<a _fcknotitle="true" href="Category:Robeson_County,_North_Carolina">Robeson_County,_North_Carolina</a>