Difference between revisions of "Ruabon, Wrexham"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(int link)
(Civil Records: update)
Line 143: Line 143:
== Civil Records ==
== Civil Records ==
Births, marriages and deaths in Ruabon will be recorded in the GRO indexes as:
The Registry Office for the parishes of Ruabon and [[Erbistock]] was in High Street, Ruabon.
Births, marriages and deaths in Ruabon are recorded in the GRO indexes as:
{| width="100%" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" align="center"
{| width="100%" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" align="center"

Revision as of 10:41, 15 October 2008

Ruabon (Welsh: Rhiwabon) is a village, community and ecclesiastical parish in the County Borough of Wrexham in Wales.


Substantial remains of Offa's Dyke (Welsh: Clawdd Offa) can be seen on the western outskirts of Ruabon. This massive earthwork, stretching from Chepstow in the south to Prestatyn in the north, was constructed in the late 8th century by Offa, King of Mercia, as a boundary between Saxon Mercia and Celtic Wales. Traces of an earlier dyke, Wat's Dyke, can be seen on the eastern side of the Ruabon. It would be several centuries before Ruabon and the lands to the east of Offa's Dyke would be returned to Wales.

The name is derived from the Welsh Rhiw Fabon, or "hillside of Mabon", a local saint. An older English spelling, Rhuabon, can sometimes be seen.

The ancient parish of Ruabon was made up of the townships of:

  • Ruabon (which also included the hamlets of Belan, Bodylltyn, Hafod, and Rhuddallt)
  • Cristionydd Cynrig (also known as Y Dref Fawr or Cristionydd Kenrick in English)
  • Coed Cristionydd
  • Dinhinlle Uchaf (also known as Y Dref Fechan or Cristionydd Fechan)
  • Dinhinlle Isaf
  • Morton Anglicorum (the “English Morton” or Morton Below the dyke)
  • Morton Wallichorum (the “Welsh Morton” or Morton Above the dyke)

(Morton Anglicorum seems to be vaguely defined and within Morton Below.)

Ruabon Parish.png

In 1844, Coed Cristionydd and part of Cristionydd Cynrig became part of the new parish of Rhosymedre; and Dinhinlle Uchaf and Moreton Above became part of the new parish of Rhosllannerchrugog. Later in 1879, Dynhinlle Uchaf and the remainder of Cristionydd Cynrig became the new parish of Penycae.

The Wynnstay Arms Hotel

The area was, for centuries, under the influence of nearby Chirk Castle and, later, the Williams Wynn family of Wynnstay in Ruabon.

The Ruabon area was formerly heavily industrialised with large deposits of iron, coal and clay. Iron was worked in Gyfelia and Cinders as far back as the Middle Ages but heavy industry dominated the entire parish in the 18th and 19th centuries. Hafod Colliery, the last working colliery in the Ruabon coalfield, closed in 1968.

Iron was worked at Ruabon; Acrefair; Cefn Mawr and Plas Madoc; and zinc at Wynn Hall. In 1867 Robert Graesser, an industrial chemist from Obermosel in Saxony, Germany established a chemical works at Plas Kynaston in Cefn Mawr to extract paraffin oil and wax from the local shale. This was the start of the long association between the chemical industry. The site was later acquired by the American chemical company Monsanto, their first venture in Europe.

Much of the mineral wealth of the area was exported by canal over the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct on the Shropshire Union Canal, until the railway reached Ruabon in 1855.

Ruabon sat on vast deposits of clay. At Afongoch there were three clay companies very close together: "Monk & Newell", the “Ruabon Brick & Terra Cotta Ltd." or "Jenks' Terracotta Works" (or "Gwaith Jinks") and the "Tatham Brick & Tile Works" or "Afongoch & Tatham Tileries". At Hafod, the Cornish engineer Henry Dennis founded a clay works next to the Hafod Colliery. The Dennis company became world famous for its tiles but closed in 2008. Other large brickworks existed at Pant, Rhosllannerchrugog, Acrefair and Newbridge.

Today the village of Ruabon is a suburb of the town of Wrexham.


Years County
pre 1536 Powys Fadog
1536 - 31 March 1974 Denbighshire
1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996 Clwyd
from 1 April 1996, Wrexham

Census Records

The parish of Ruabon formed part of the Wrexham Registrar's District.

Year Parts
1841 missing
1851 HO107/2503 folios 15 to 378
1861 RG9/4280 folios f9 to end
RG9/4283 folio 80
1871 RG10/5652 folios 17 to end
RG10/5653 folio 189
1881 RG11/5512 folios 11 to end
RG11/5514 folio 124
1891 RG12/4612 folios 8 to 179
RG12/4613 folio 168

Church Records

The following Ruabon Parish Registers have been deposited at the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth:

Baptisms 1559 - 1945
Marriages: 1599 - 1964
Burials 1559 - 1963

Nonconformist Church Records

The following chapel records from Ruabon parish are available on the IGI:

Chapel Years Batch Number
Providence Calvinistic Methodist, Ruabon 1832-1837 C101751
Independent Chapel, Ruabon 1814-1837 C101731
Bethlehem Independent Chapel ("Capel Bychan"), Rhosllannerchrugog 1810-1831 C101761
Jerusalem Calvinistic Methodist ("Capel Mawr"), Rhosllannerchrugog 1810-1837 C101871
Cefn Wesleyan Methodist, Cefn Mawr 1815-1837 C101611
Particular Baptist, Penycae 1789-1837 C101901

Civil Records

The Registry Office for the parishes of Ruabon and Erbistock was in High Street, Ruabon.

Births, marriages and deaths in Ruabon are recorded in the GRO indexes as:

Years Sub-district District Volumes
1 Jul 1837 - 1974 Ruabon Wrexham XXVII (1837-51)
11b (1852-1946)
8A (1946-74)

Poor Law Union

The Wrexham Union was created on 30 March 1837 and the parish of Ruabon formed part of this.

A workhouse was built at Croesnewydd in Bersham, Wrexham.

The records of the Wrexham Union are now held at Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin.


  • St Mary's Churchyard
  • Garden of Remembrance, Church Street
  • Mount Pleasant

See also


  • A. N. Palmer, "The History of the Parish of Ruabon" reprint 1992
  • G. G. Lerry, "Collieries of Denbighshire", reprint 1968
  • T. W. Pritchard, "Remembering Ruabon - Cofio Rhiwabon", 2000

External links

Gotoarrow.png Return to the Denbighshire Portal page
Gotoarrow.png Return to the Wales Portal page