Rugby, Warwickshire Genealogy
RUGBY (St. Andrew), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the Rugby division of the hundred of Knightlow, N. division of the county of Warwick, 16½ miles (E. N. E.) from Warwick, and 83 (N. W. by N.) from London. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans; and a Roman Catholic chapel dedicated to St. Marie, built by Captain Hibbert, and consecrated in Sept. 1847.
Rugby St Andrew is an Ancient Parish in the marton deanery of the Diocese of Worcester.
St Andrew's Church, in the town centre, is Rugby's original parish church. A church has stood on the site since the 13th century. The church was extensively re-built and expanded in the 19th century, designed by William Butterfield. The expanded church included a new east tower, which has a spire 182 feet (55 metres) high. However some parts of the older medieval church were retained, most notably the 22 metre high west tower which bears strong resemblance to a castle turret. The west tower was probably built during the reign of Henry III (1216–1272) to serve a defensive as well as religious role, and is Rugby's oldest building. The church has other artefacts of medieval Rugby including the 13th-century parish chest, and a medieval font.
Rugby also has a fine Catholic church St Maries Roman Catholic Church,Rugby,Warwickshire.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Parish Registers held at the Family History Library
||Baptisms||Marriages & Banns||Burials||Other|
|Rugby St. Matthew||1841-1875; 1875-1911||Marriages 1868-1876; 1877-1903; Banns 1868-1908||1842|
|Rugby St. Andrew||1621-1876; 1874-1896; 1896-1906||Marriages 1621-1812; 1754-1876; 1874-1902; Banns 1754-1813||1621-1812; 1813-1847; 1847-1950|
|Rugby Holy Trinity||1854-1879; 1877-1907||Marriages 1875-1908|
Rugby Parish Registers held at the Warwickshire County Record Office
|Ruby St. Matthew||1841-1954||1868-1948||1842|
|Rugby St. Andrew||1621-1940||1621-1976||1621-1950|
|Rugby Holy Trinity||1854-1974||1875-1974|
|Rugby St. George||1941-1969|
|Rugby St. John||1911-1991||1939-1984|
|Ruby St. Peter||1901-1992||1909-1993|
|Rugby St. Philip||1914-1941||1915-1958|
Rugby Parish Registers Online (images, transcripts, or indexes)
|Warwickshire Parish Registers 1538-1900|
|Rugby Holy Trinity||1854-1859||
|Rugby St. Andrew||1620-1876||1620-1840||1620-1812|
|Rugby St Matthew||1841-1875|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464176.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Warwickshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 12 November 2013.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.