Runcorn, Cheshire Genealogy
RUNCORN (St. Bartholomew), is a sea-port and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester; it is 9 miles (S. W. by W.) from Warrington, 12 (E. S. E.) from Liverpool, and 189 (N. W. by N.) from London. The parish includes the chapelries of Aston-by-Sutton, Daresbury, Halton, and Thelwall; and the townships of Acton-Grange, Aston-Grange, Clifton, Hatton, Keckwick, Moore, Newton-by-Daresbury, Norton, Prestonon-the-Hill, Stockham, Sutton, Walton Inferior and Superior, and Weston. The town contains places of worship forIndependents,Wesleyans,Lady Huntingdon's Connexion, and Primitive and Independent Methodists; a Welsh chapel, and a Roman Catholic chapel.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Events within Runcorn registration District may be searched online at Cheshire BMD
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Runcorn, All Saints (C of E). An ancient parish church, originally serving the townships of Acton Grange, Aston by Sutton, Aston Grange, Clifton, Daresbury, Dutton (part), Halton, Hatton, Keckwick, Moore, Newton by Daresbury, Norton, Preston on the Hill, Runcorn, Stockham, Sutton (near Runcorn), Thelwall Walton Inferior, Walton Superior and Weston. Registers of Baptisms 1558–1984, Marriages 1558–1963 and Burials 1558–1936 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office (registers 1558–1647 are too fragile to be viewed). See individual page Runcorn All Saints, Cheshire
Runcorn, Holy Trinity (C of E). Trinity Street. Founded 1838 as a chapel to All Saints, becoming a parish church in 1860. Registers of Baptisms 1838–1945 and Marriages 1861–1959 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office (no burials). See individual page Runcorn, Holy Trinity, Cheshire
- Runcorn, St. Michael and All Angels (C of E). Greenway Road. Founded 1885 as a chapel to All Saints, becoming a parish church in 1931. Registers of Baptisms from 1914 and Marriages from 1924 are held at the church..
- Runcorn, St. Peter. Irwell Lane. Seaman's mission, attached to Holy Trinity; closed in 1946. Registers of Baptisms 1922–1946 and Burials 1894–1941 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office
- Grange, St. Andrew (C of E). Founded in 1963 to serve the Grange estate district of Runcorn New Town. Registers of Marriages 1965–1982 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office. Baptism registers start in 1959 and are held at the church (no burials here).
- Hallwood, St. Mark (C of E). Beechwood Avenue. Built in 1976 as an ecumenical church for the Hallwood area of Runcorn New Town. Registers of Baptisms from 1976, and Marriages from 1981 are held at the church.
- Runcorn, Bethesda Church (Interdenominational). Founded 1974, and attached to Hallwood for C of E services. Registers of Baptisms from 1974 are held at the church.
- Runcorn, St. Edward the Confessor (Roman Catholic), Irwell Lane. Founded 1842. The first church was built in Irwell Lane in 1847, and replaced by a new building in 1888, which was destroyed by fire. The present building in Ivy Street opened in 1956. Registers of baptisms 1842–1932, marriages 1854–1954 and burials 1860–1981 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Runcorn, Friends' Meeting House (Quakers). Built in 1920.
- Runcorn, Presbyterian Church, Victoria Road.
- Runcorn, St. John's Methodist Chapel (New Connexion), Rutland Street. Founded 1818, closed in 1849. Registers 1819–1837 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Runcorn, Brunswick Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), High Street. Founded 1821, closed in 1865. Registers 1821–1865 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Runcorn, Methodist Chapel (Primitive), Regent Street. Built in 1838, closed in 1871.
- Runcorn, Zion Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Halton Road. Founded 1842, Built in 1871. Registers 1876–1956 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Runcorn, Methodist Chapel (Free), Ellesmere Street. Founded by 1850, closed in 1958. Registers 1850–1954 are at the Cheshire Record Office. See individual page and Record Search.
- Runcorn, Methodist Chapel (Welsh Calvinist/Presbyterian), Rutland Street. Founded 1850.
- Runcorn, Camden Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Lowland Road. Built in 1862, closed in 1970. Registers 1877–1970 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Runcorn, St. Paul's Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), High Street. Opened 1866, closed in 1963. Registers 1866–1962 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Runcorn, Methodist Chapel (Primitive), Greenway Road. Built in 1871, closed in 1970. Registers 1924–1970 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Runcorn, Methodist Chapel (Primitive), Ashridge Street. Built in 1897, closed in 1908.
- Runcorn, Methodist Chapel, Laburnum Grove. Founded 1960, closed in 1970. Registers 1960–1969 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Runcorn, Methodist Chapel, The Heath. Built in 1970.
- Runcorn, St. Luke's United Reformed Church (Independent/Congregational), Mason Street. Built in 1830, rebuilt in 1933.
- Runcorn, Bethesda United Reformed Church (Independent/Congregational), High Street. Built in 1835. Registers 1832–1949 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Runcorn, Hallwood United Reformed Church (Ecumenical), Lapwing Grove. Opened 1976.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241235.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) adapted 15 January 2013