Rutherford County, North Carolina Genealogy
|Rutherford County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Rutherford County Court
229 N Main Street P O Box 551
Rutherforton, NC 28139-0630
Courthouse burned in 1857
Clerk Superor Courtt has birth records from 1917
death records from 1913
marriage dirvorce probate court and land records from 1779
tax lists and voter registration
1779--Rutherford County was created from Tryon County. Tyron County was abolished in 1779.
County seat: Rutherfordton 
1907--Courthouse fire destroyed many court records.
- Cherokee County, South Carolina
- Spartanburg County, South Carolina
For tips on accessing Rutherford County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- "Notes on a Proctor Family of Northeastern Rutherford Co., N.C.," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 38, No. 3 (August 2010):102-110. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 38
Early migration routes to and from Rutherford County for European settlers included:
- Old Cherokee Path pre-historic
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- Pre-1790 - Pre-1790 Rutherford County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1780-1784 - Minutes of the Pleas and Quarter Sessions 1780 to 1784. (mentions wills filed, inventory lists, sales, administratrators, orphans, deeds proved, etc. If you cannot find a will in the will book, this is where to search) North Carolina Pioneers ($)
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- North Carolina Pioneers ($)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Rutherford County, North Carolina. Page 512 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 847-61. (FHL Book 973 D27e 2002) WorldCat entry., and William E. Myer, Indian Trails of the Southeast. (Nashville, Tenn.: Blue and Gray Press, 1971), 12-14, and the book's pocket map "The Trail System of the Southeastern United States in the early Colonial Period" (1923). (FHL Book 970.1 M992i) WorldCat entry.