Rutherford County, North Carolina Genealogy
|Rutherford County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Rutherford County, North Carolina
229 N Main Street P O Box 551
Rutherforton, NC 28139-0630
Courthouse burned in 1857
Clk Sup Ct has b rec from 1917
d rec from 1913
m, div pro, ct & land rec from 1779
tax lists & voter registration
Rutherford was formed from Tryon 14 Apr 1779
1779--Rutherford County was created from Tryon County. Tyron County was abolished in 1779.
County seat: Rutherfordton 
1907--Courthouse fire destroyed many court records.
- Cherokee County, South Carolina
- Spartanburg County, South Carolina
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- "Notes on a Proctor Family of Northeastern Rutherford Co., N.C.," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 38, No. 3 (August 2010):102-110. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 38
Early migration routes to and from Rutherford County for European settlers included:
- Old Cherokee Path pre-historic
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 847-61. (FHL Book 973 D27e 2002) WorldCat entry., and William E. Myer, Indian Trails of the Southeast. (Nashville, Tenn.: Blue and Gray Press, 1971), 12-14, and the book's pocket map "The Trail System of the Southeastern United States in the early Colonial Period" (1923). (FHL Book 970.1 M992i) WorldCat entry.