Rutland Church Records
Large collections of Rutland parish registers are available online in:
- Boyd's Marriage Index at FindMyPast (£). Coverage.
- International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free. 127,412 baptisms, 43,601 marriages, 138,871 burials. Coverage. Mainly bishop's transcripts.
Most Rutland parish registers and bishop's transcripts are held at the Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland Record Office. Parish registers have not been microfilmed, but many bishop's transcripts are on microfilm through the Family History Library.
Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society have published transcripts of most Rutland parish registers on CD:
- Volume 1 - Ayston, Brooke, Cottesmore, Edith Weston, Egleton, Empingham, Hambleton, Little Casterton, Lyndon, Manton, Morcott, Normanton, Pilton, Preston, Ridlington, Ryhall, Teigh, Whissendine, Whitwell, and Wing parishes. FHL CD-ROM no. 5016 v. 1
- Volume 2 - Ashwell, Barrowden, Braunston, Exton, Great Casterton, Ketton, Langham, Oakham, South Luffenham, Tickencote, and Tinwell parishes. FHL CD-ROM no. 5016 v. 2
- Volume 3 - Belton, Bisbrook, Burley, Caldecott, Clipsham, Essendine, Glaston, Greetham, Lyddington, Market Overton, North Luffenham, Pickworth, Seaton, Stoke Dry, Streeton, Thistleton, Tixover, Uppingham, and Wardley parishes. FHL CD-ROM no. 5016 v. 3
- Volume 4 - Ashwell, Ayston, Barrowden, Belton, Bisbrook, Braunston, Brooke, Burley, Caldicott, Clipsham, Cottesmore, Edith Weston, Egleton, Empingham, Essendine, Exton, Glaston, Great Casterton, Greetham, Hambleton, Ketton, Langham, Little Casterton, Lyddington, Lyndon, Manton, Market Overton, Morcott, Normanton, North Luffenham, Oakham, Pickworth, Pilton, Preston, Ridlington, Ryhall, Seaton, South Luffenham, Stoke Dry, Stretton, Teigh, Thislteton, Tickencote, Tinwell, Tixover, Uppingham, Wardley, Whissendine, Whitwell, and Wing (1813-1840) parishes. FHL CD-ROM no. 5016 v. 4
The place to start Rutland marriage searches is:
Ian Buxton and Audrey Margaret Buxton published Rutland Marriage Index (beg. 1538) on CD: FHL CD-ROM no. 4119.
Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society published Rutland Marriage Index, 1754-1837: FHL Collection.
- National Burial Index, 3rd ed. Includes 19,000 Rutland burials: FHL CD-ROM no. 6356. Rutland entries are not included in the online edition on FindMyPast.
Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society have published two volumes of Rutland burials:
- Leicestershire & Rutland Burial Index FHL CD-ROM no. 6581.
- Leicestershire & Rutland Burial Index Volume 2, 1813-1891 FHL CD-ROM no. 2016.
Rutland residents typically went to Peterborough or Leicester to acquire marriage licences. Peterborough marriage licences are held at the Northamptonshire Record Office and Leicester marriage licences are held at the Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland Record Office.
Peterborough marriage licences have not been published. A card index is available at the Northamptonshire Record Office.
Early Archdeaconry of Leicester marriage licences (1570-1729) have been published and available online. A card index at the Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland Record Office covering 1731-1891 has been microfilmed: FHL Films 1517629-1517635.
Ecclesiastical court records from the Archdeaconry of Leicester have been microfilmed for the years 1526 through 1825. There is no index. These records deal chiefly with fornication, adultery, slander, marriage (within degrees) and divorce. They identify the individuals concerned as well as their places (parish) of residence: FHL Film 1538125 (first of 22 films).
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Society of Friends
- English Friends records, Warwickshire, Leicestershire and Rutlandshire : marriages, births and burials, 1623-1729
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' British Origins, (Wayback Machine) accessed 31 August 2013.
- 'National Burial Index - 3rd Edition Coverage,' Federation of Family History Societies, http://www.ffhs.org.uk/projects/nbi/nbi-coverage.php, accessed 19 August 2013.
- 'National Burial Index records coverage,' FindMyPast, http://www.findmypast.co.uk/national-burial-index-coverage-counties.action, accessed 19 August 2013.