Difference between revisions of "Rye, Sussex Genealogy"
(Added date accessed)
|Line 98:||Line 98:|
== References ==
== References ==
Revision as of 00:35, 25 October 2013
RYE (St. Mary), a cinque-port, borough, market-town, and parish, having separate jurisdiction, and the head of a union, locally in the hundred of Gostrow, rape of Hastings, E. division of Sussex, 63 miles (S. E. by E.) from London. This place, which belonged originally to the monastery of Feschamp, in Normandy, was at an early date, together with Winchelsea, annexed to the cinque-ports of England, in the charters granted to which these two towns are invariably styled "ancient towns." The church is a spacious cruciform structure, partly Norman and partly in the early English style, with a central tower, in which is a clock of peculiar mechanical construction, said to have been taken from the Spanish Armada, and given to the town by Queen Elizabeth. The east window is in the later English style, of large dimensions and of elegant design, and has been embellished with some stained glass. A monastery of friars of the order of St. Augustine was founded a short time before the Dissolution; the principal remains have been converted into a storehouse.
A history of the Parish church is available from Sussex Parish churches Rye St Mary
The Parish church of St Mary has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
The church, begun in the 12th century, has a famous 16th century clock with an 18-foot pendulum. Instead of striking the hour, a pair of gilded cherubs strike the quarters. Inside the church are stained glass windows from the firm of William Morris.
Rye Harbour Holy Spirit was a chapelry within this parish created in 1850 Rye Harbour
Other places of worship include
Congregational Independent Chapel
Former Augustine Chapel
Former Baptist Church
Former Carmelite Chapel
Former Chapel Bridge Street
Former Congregational Church
Kingdom Hall Jehovahs Witnesses
Methodist Church 1852-1939-1945 see Sussex Online Parish Clerks (OPC)
Methodist Church dates from 1900 Sussex Online Parish Clerks (OPC) includes IGI Batch
St Anthony of Padua (Roman Catholic) Sussex Online Parish Clerks (OPC)
See also Rye East Sussex Wikipedia
A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 719-725. here
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
From 1837 this parish was within Rye Registration district, from 1935 this was incorporated into Battle Registration district
Certiificates may be obtained from
East Sussex County Council
The Register Office
Phone: 01323 464780
Fax: 01323 431386
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records.
Link to the Family History Library Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Rye
The East and West Sussex Record offices also have deposited Parish Registers.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
 to locate local Family History Centres in UK
 to locate outside UK. Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Prior to the 1911 census the household schedule was destroyed and only the enumerator's schedule survives.
The 1911 census of England and Wales was taken on the night of Sunday 2 April 1911 and in addition to households and institutions such as prisons and workhouses, canal boats merchant ships and naval vessels it attempted to include homeless persons. The schedule was completed by an individual and for the first time both this record and the enumerator's schedule were preserved. Two forms of boycott of the census by women are possible due to frustration at government failure to grant women the universal right to vote in parliamentary and local elections. The schedule either records a protest by failure to complete the form in respect of the women in the household or women are absent due to organisation of groups of women staying away from home for the whole night. Research estimates that several thousand women are not found by census search. 
Rye Apprentices 1602-1645. A list of apprentices giving date, name, master, trade and reference. Article to be found in Sussex Family Historian vol.6, Sept 1974, pages 164-169, Family History Library Ref. 942.52 B2su
Rye Apprentices 1602-1645 Part 2, A list of apprentices giving date, name of Apprentice, name of Master, Trade and Reference. in Sussex Family Historian vol.7, Dec. 1974 pages 192-195, Family History Library Ref. 942.25 B2su
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Sussex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 719-725. Date accessed: 30 September 2013