Saguache County, Colorado Genealogy
Guide to Saguache County Colorado genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Saguache County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Location of Colorado in the U.S.
|Founded||January 9, 1852|
|Address|| Saguache County Courthouse|
501 4th Street
PO Box 655
Saguache, CO 81149-0176
- 1 County Courthouse
- 1.1 Brief History
- 1.2 Places / Localities
- 1.3 Resources
- 1.4 Repositories
- 1.5 References
Note: Use the PO Box information to connect with county courthouse. This is a rural agricultural county and PO Box is needed for a majority of the residences and businesses in this area.
County Clerk has marriage and land records from 1874.
Saguache County Courthouse is located in the county seat which is in the Town of Saguache, Colorado 81149.
The courthouse's physical address is 501 4th Street, Saguache CO and this two story building is on the south-west corner of 4th Street and Christy Avenue. As this is a rural community, mail delivery is picked up at the local post office.
The mailing address for Saguache County Courthouse is: PO Box 655, Saguache CO 81149
Administration phone number: 719-655-2231.
- Before 1861 the southern one-third of this modern Colorado county was in New Mexico.
- 9 January 1852 it was created part of Taos County in New Mexico Territory. 
- 28 February 1861 it was transferred to Colorado  (1 Nov 1861 Costilla County).
- Look for pre-1861 records in New Mexico. For further explanation see Taos County.
Places / Localities
The byline for Saguache County causes smiles. A 2010 Saguache County commerative throw had these words woven into the coverlet, which says it all: "1000 miles, 8 towns, and not 1 stop light". The populated places for Saguache County are:
and then Saguache County proper with residents unaffilated with a township.
Saguache County is a rural, remote, ranching, agricultural, filled with scattered small communities surrounded by the majestic Sangre de Cristo mountains to the east and the rolling San Juan range to the west.
Hwy 285 and Hwy 17 provide access to this county.
The nearest commercial airport is at Alamosa, Alamosa County, Colorado, which lies 52 miles south of the county. The airport is very small and is served by Great Lakes Airline.
There are two cemeteries close to the Town of Saguache. They are:
This particular website will help you connect with various cemeteries throughout Saguache County towns and areas. Click here
For tips on accessing Saguache County, Colorado Genealogy census records online, see: Colorado Census.
The following website provides local histories for Saguache County. Click here
Land and Property
There are three current  newspapers in circulation within Saguache County. They are:
- Saguache Crescent - 316 4th Street, PO Box 195, Saguache CO 81149 719.655.2620 Publisher: Dean Coombs. There is no email or internet connection with Saguache Crescent. Either call or send mail to PO Box listed above.
- Crestone Eagle - 180 W Galena Ave, Crestone CO 81131 719.256.4956 Publisher: Kizzen Laki Crestone Eagle connection
- Center Post Dispatch - 835 1st Avenue, Monte Vista CO 81144 719.852.3531 • Fax: 719-852-3387 Publisher: Valley Publishing Center Post Dispatch on-line
Another newspaper that serves the area is based out of Alamosa, Alamosa County, Colorado. That newspaper is Valley Courier.
Saguache County records are housed in different departments.
Land and Homestead records can be located in the Saguache County Assessor's office.
Birth, Marriage, Death, lien records are recorded in the Saguache County Clerk's office.
Property and tax records could be found in the Saguache County Treasurer's office.
Saguache County department information can be found at this site.
Societies and Libraries
Northern Saguache County Public Library
Baca Grande Branch
702 Pitkin Street
Saguache CO 81149Crestone CO
Telephone: (719) 655-2551
Family History Centers
Saguache County is part of a larger area known as San Luis Valley - the world's largest alpine valley which incompasses six counties. The Family History Center that serves Saguache County is located in Alamosa, Colorado at the LDS church building known locally as Third and Richardson.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 101, Saguache County, Colorado. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920 (Baltimore: Genealogical Publ., 1987), 52. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 X2th.
- Brief County Histories (New Mexico) in RootsWeb (accessed 21 June 2012).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Colorado Territory" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopeida at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Territory (accessed 19 June 2012).
- Adrian B. Ettlinger, AniMap 3.0 : with SiteFinder U.S. place name database (Alamo, Calif.: Gold Bug, 2008), Colorado 1861 map. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL CD-ROM no. 4903.
- Handybook, 98, Costilla County, Colorado.