Salesbury, Lancashire Genealogy
Salesbury St Peter was created a chapel of ease created in 1809 from, and lying within the boundaries of Blackburn St Mary, Lancashire Ancient Parish.
This completely rural parish descends northwards to a secluded and wooded reach where the River Ribble falls over shelving rocks. The Old English name is 'Salebyry', dating from 1246 AD and 'Salewelle' dating from 1296 AD. As well as St Peter’s Church, The Memorial Hall, Salesbury School and Salesbury Cricket Club, Salesbury contains the residence of the Bishop of Blackburn, known locally as the Bishop's House.
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.
"SALESBURY, a chapelry, in the parish, union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 4½ miles north of Blackburn. The chapel, dedicated to St. Peter, was repaired in 1844."
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Church of England
Salesbur ychapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Blackburn to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk project|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|SALESBURY ST PETER Chapelry (1807) Indexes|
|BLACKBURN ST MARY THE VIRGIN PARISH (1600) Indexes (ancient parish containing SALESBURY Chapelry)|
|LOPC||1600-1611, 1614-1628, 1653-1848, 1854-1881||1600-1680, 1698-1705, 1722-1900||1651-1652, 1746-1900|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Salesbury and comprising the whole ancient parish of Blackburn to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the BLACKBURN ST MARY PARISH page.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306893.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 1-4. Adapted. Date accessed: 20 July 2010.