Difference between revisions of "Salt Lake Holladay South Family History Center"
|Line 30:||Line 30:|
'''E-mail:''' firstname.lastname@example.org [mailto:email@example.com]
=== '''Open Hours:''' ===
=== '''Open Hours:''' ===
Revision as of 03:19, 15 March 2012
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
This is a locally operated Family History Center serving the Holladay, Holladay North, Holladay South and Valley View areas of Salt Lake County, Utah.
- Our center's services are free and open to the public.
- We invite all who are interested in family history to visit our center.
- We will print a large, color fan chart of your ancestry to help you decide where to focus your research.
- Our center has a microfilm reader for patrons use.
- You can order any microfilms available through the Family History Library Catalog and have them delivered to our center for viewing.
- Our center has free access to several premium Genealogy websites including Ancestry.com.
Family History Center volunteers can show you how to use the center’s resources. To make your visit most effective, collect and organize the information you already have. Bring as much information as you have about the ancestor you wish to research, including available birth, marriage and death information. FHC staff can help you use that information to begin creating a Family Group Record.
High-Quality Videos are available for the rookie genealogist and the seasoned veteran alike. The Genealogy in 5 Minutes playlist demonstrates how, in just a few minutes, individuals with little or no genealogy experience can make some headway on their family’s history.
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Open Hours:
- 4 Center Resources
- 5 Staff Research Specialties
- 6 Staff Training Meetings:
- 7 Links
- 8 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
Address: 4917 South Viewmont, Holladay, Utah 84117
- We are located in the east end of the building directly across from the ball field. If the door is locked, ring the doorbell just left of the Multi-Stake sign.
- Map: Salt Lake Holladay South Family History Center
|M - 11:00 am - 2:00 pm||Linda Leper||801-278-4859|
|T - 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm||Betty Jo Bronson||801-277-3102|
|W - 9:00 am - 11:30 am||Helen Collins||801-278-6643|
|W - 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm||Dick Parker||801-273-0789|
|W - 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm||Bill Wittlesey||801-272-3928|
|H - 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm||Don Racine||801-466-4015|
|ANY DAY - ANY TIME||Bill Wittlesey||
Family History Center Directors:
Richard and De Ann Swinyard 801-278-2170 801-558-7116
- The FamilySearch web site hosts: • The Ancestral File. • The International Genealogical Index. • The Pedigree Resource File database. • US Social Security Death Index • Vital Records Index • 1880 United States Census • 1881 British Isles Census• 1881 Canadian Census.
- You can order any microfilm available through the Family History Library Catalog and have it delivered to our center for viewing. To have a microfilm sent to our center, select the "Salt Lake Holladay South Stake Family History Center" as your default center. You will recieve an e-mail when your film(s) arrive at our center. The cost is $7.50 for a short term loan which includes shipping both ways. For instructions on how to order a microfilm, view Online Film Ordering.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. These include:
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- Access Newspaper Archive
- Alexander Street Press - The American Civil War: Research Database, Letters and Diaries, Images, Photographs, Posters and Ephemera
- ArchivDigital Online
- Find My Past
- Fold3.com (Previously known as Footnote.com)
- The Genealogist
- Godfrey Memorial Library
- Heritage Quest Online
- Historic Map Works Library Online
- Paper Trail
Hardware and Equipment
- 8 Computers
- 1 Microfilm Reader
- 2 Printers
- WIFI access for personal laptops
- Large format, color printer for printing beautiful fan charts
Staff Research Specialties
- FamilySearch has produced and continues to provide professional on-line classes for Family History research. These classes include research in the following countries: Australia, Canada, England, Europe, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Scandinavia, Spain and The United States. Additionally, you will find focused skill level classes for Advanced, Beginner, and Intermediate research and more!
- One-On-One Assistance
Staff Training Meetings:
- 2nd Tuesday of each month, 7 - 8 p.m.
- Why Family History Is Important
- Research Wiki
- Utah Death Certificate Index
- How To Organize Your Paper Files
- Names in Stone - Cemetery maps
- Utah Burials Search
- Obit Finder - Searches obituaries from more than 800 national & international newspapers and the U.S. Social Security Death Index to provide the most accurate and timely obituary information available.
Volunteer at the Center
Contact us if you would like to volunteer a few hours each week as a consultant in our Family History Center.