If you are searching for people in Scotland, search the Scotland’s People Web site. It contains many census, civil registration, testament and church records. Due to privacy laws, Internet access of original images is limited to birth records over 100 years old and marriage records over 75 years.
The site contains indexes and many images for the following records.
- Old Parish Records (Church of Scotland), birth/baptisms and banns/marriages, 1553-1854
- Census, 1841-1901
- Statutory Registers (Civil Registers) births, marriages and deaths, 1855-2006
- Testaments (Probates), 1513-1901
- Catholic Parish Registers, 1703-1995
Genealogical information in each database varies but the following can be found.
- Names of individuals.
- Dates of birth, marriage or death.
- Places of birth, marriage or death, or residence.
- Date of a testament.
Using the site
- Type in your user name and password and click Login. If you don't have a login, click the link to Register.
- Click on a type of record you wish to search.
- Enter information into the search boxes provided.
- Click Search.
- Detailed help on how to use the ScotlandsPeople website is found in the FamilySearch publication "Finding records of your ancestors: Scotland 1855-1901".
- Registration on the site is free.
- Credits (a minimum of 30 for 6 GBP) are required to search for a specific record and to view details and digitized images of records.
- Each page of search results costs 1 credit to view.
- Each record image costs 5 credits to view.
- Searching the index of testaments (wills) is free.
- Searching the index for a Coat of Arms is free.
Searching and Viewing
- You can search without paying, but in order to view the results and record images, you must purchase credits. Results show total number of records by the surname.
- Select a type of record before searching for an individual.
- Search screen varies depending on the type of record to search.
- Click View to see the digitized image.
- You can print the image out, or save it to your computer.
- Click Order for an extract or an official copy.
- Once a list of results list or an image was view, there is no charge to see the same again.
- The list of results and images can be printed on a person’s printer.
- A person can do a free search for surname without a login. The result of this search shows the number of surnames in each database.
- For information about the availability of a group of records, click the What’s in the Database tab near the top of the screen.
- Credits can be paid by credit card on their secure site.
- Credits can be used at any time. The current number of credits is shown at the top right after you log in.
- If you have not visited the site for awhile, you will be asked to buy more credits.
- The IGI database on www.familysearch.org can be used as a partial index to pre-1876 births and marriages in Scotland.