Scott County, Virginia Genealogy
|Scott County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
|County Seat||Gate City|
Southwest Virginia county.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Research Guides
- 4.2 African American
- 4.3 Bible Records
- 4.4 Cemeteries
- 4.5 Census
- 4.6 Church
- 4.7 Court
- 4.8 Genealogy
- 4.9 Land
- 4.10 Local Histories
- 4.11 Maps
- 4.12 Military
- 4.13 Civil War
- 4.14 Naturalization
- 4.15 Newspapers
- 4.16 Private Papers
- 4.17 Probate
- 4.18 Taxation
- 4.19 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Scott County Courthouse
Scott Circuit Court
202 West Jackson Street
Gate City, VA 24251 Template:RAOGKcourthouse
- Lost census: 1890
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Scott County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 22, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1978):133-136. Available at FHL; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
Freedmen's Bureau Letters or Correspondence, 1865-1872
Kegley, Mary B. Free People of Colour: Free Negroes, Indians, Portuguese and Freed Slaves. Wytheville, Va.: Kegley Books, 2003. Available at FHL; digital version at Family History Archives. [Includes information from Scott County.]
Images of the Virginia Historical Society's family Bible collection have been digitized:
- Virginia Historical Society Papers, 1607-2007 - browse collection at FamilySearch; free.
Additional Bible records include:
- Tombstone Transcription Project Scott County - cemetery transcriptions - USGenWeb
For tips on accessing Scott County, Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: Virginia Census.
- Douthat, James L. 1840 Mountain Empire of Virginia Census. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 2001. FHL Collection 975.5 X2d 1840. Free online surname index and purchase details at Mountain Press website. [Includes Scott County.]
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
More than 20 genealogies have been published about Scott County families. To view a list, visit Scott County, Virginia Genealogy.
- Addington, Robert M. History of Scott County, Virginia. Kingsport, Tenn.: Kingsport Press, 1932. Available at FHL (original edition and 1979 reprint); digital version at Ancestry ($) and World Vital Records ($).
- Kegley, Mary B. Revolutionary War Pension Applications of Southwest Virginia Soldiers. n.p.: M.B. Kegley, 1997. FHL Collection [Includes Scott County pensioners.]
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Scott County on page 136.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Scott County, p. 103. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers 1861-1865
Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers 1861-1865
Virginia, Historical Society Papers, 1607-2007
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Scott County is included in Vol. 5.]
-  Kegley, Mary B. Southwest Virginia Tax Assessments, 1815: Grayson, Lee, Scott, Russell, Washington, and Wythe Counties. Wytheville, Va.: Kegley Books, 1991. Original edition and 1992 supplement available at FHL. [The source for this publication is a private collection of 1815 tax assessment tickets for the First District of Virginia. The tickets includes landowners' names, number of acres or lots, number of buildings along with descriptions, and number of slaves. N.B. These are not the 1815 land tax books.]
-  Kincaid, Bathsheba. "Scott County, Virginia Tax Book for 1816," The Mountain Empire Genealogical Quarterly, Vol. 4, No. 3 (Fall 1985):179-181. FHL US/CAN Book 975 D25m v. 4 (1985).
Indexes to Scott County, Virginia Genealogy births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch - free. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
See also Bible Records
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- Scott County, Virginia USGENWEB
- References for Southwest Virginia (Southwest Virginia Project)
- RootsWeb Mailing List: SW_VA-L (Topic: Southwest Virginia)
- Scott County Virginia Genealogical Research Site (VAGenWeb). Part of the USGenWeb Project.
- Cyndi's List
- Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).