Seneca Indian School (Oklahoma)
The Seneca Indian School, established by Society of Friends (Quaker) missionaries in 1872 for the Seneca, Shawnee and Wyando Indians, by 1920 the school population was mostly Cherokee Indians. The school is near the town of Wyandotte, Ottawa County, Oklahoma. The school encompased 160 acres on the Wyandot reservation under the jurisdiction of the Quapaw Agency.
In October of 1927 typhoid fever epidemic began eighty-seven children and five employees became ill. Later four children and one staff member died.
Transferred to Quapaw Agency in January 1922.
- Applications for admission, 1919-1927
- Student case files, 1920-1971
- Personnel folders, 1925-1964
- and other administrative records of the school
Microfilm copies of ...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Seneca School, 1910-1922, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Rolls 131-132, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (their microfilm numbers 1724349-1724350).
A census of the employees and pupils of Seneca School in 1930 is part of the regular federal census for that year. The listing is part of the listing for Wyandotte Township, Ottawa County, Oklahoma (Enumeration District #58-37, Sheets 3A and 3B).
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.
- Bad Water and Epidemics The Wages of Neglect at the Seneca Indian School. by Christina Bieloh. The Chronicles of Oklahoma. The Oklahoma Historical Society. Volume LXXXVII Number 1 Spring 2009. pg. 56-73.