Sevier County, Utah Genealogy
The Sevier County, Utah genealogy guide to find parents, birth, marriage, death, and more since 1865, when the county was formed. This page lists online, published, and original resources, such as cemeteries, censuses, church, court, land, probate, and obituaries.
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries | Parent counties|
|Sevier County, Utah|
Location in the state of Utah
Location of Utah in the U.S.
|Founded||January 16, 1865|
|Address|| 250 North Main Street|
Richfield, Utah 84701
|Named for: |
- 1 Helpful Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biography
- 2.3 Business Records and Commerce
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census
- 2.6 Churches and Religious Groups
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Divorce Records
- 2.10 Ethnic and Other Groups
- 2.11 Funeral Homes
- 2.12 Gazetteers
- 2.13 Genealogy
- 2.14 Guardianship
- 2.15 History
- 2.16 Land and Property
- 2.17 Maps
- 2.18 Migration
- 2.19 Military
- 2.20 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.21 Newspapers
- 2.22 Obituaries
- 2.23 Officials and Employees
- 2.24 Periodicals
- 2.25 Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.
- 2.26 Probate Records
- 2.27 Public Records
- 2.28 Resource Repositiories
- 2.29 Taxation
- 2.30 Vital Records
- 2.31 Voting Registers
- 3 Towns and Communities
- 4 References
Sevier County Courthouse
250 North Main P O Box 517
Richfield, Ut 84701
County Clerk has birth and death records 1898-1905, marriage records, naturalization records 1850-1898.
State court has divorce, probate and court records, military discharge records from 1942.
Sevier County, Utah Genealogy was created January 16, 1865 from: Sanpete
|Before the county was created—and perhaps until the newly-formed county was fully operational—search records of the parent counties.|
- Boundary changes timeline for Sevier County, Utah Genealogy from "UT: Index of Counties," Newberry Library's Utah Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.
Neighboring CountiesSevier County, Utah Genealogy is surrounded by: Beaver | Emery | Millard | Piute | Sanpete | Wayne
- Biographies(microfilmed originals or published transcripts) are listed in the FamilySearch Library Catalog for Sevier County, Utah Genealogy. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see public libraries.
Business Records and Commerce
- Business Records and Commerce(microfilmed originals or published transcripts) are listed in the FamilySearch Library Catalog for Sevier County, Utah Genealogy. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see public libraries.
Sevier County cemeteries at the Utah State Historical site
- Aurora Cemetery, Aurora BillionGraves
- Pioneer Cemetery, Salina BillionGraves
- Utah, State Archives a collection digitized by FamilySearch (free), includes a 1960 transcription of Glennwood Cemetery that notes each plot and what the tombstone (if any) says.
- Richfield has one cemetery located at about 850 North Main.
- 1880 Census(microfilmed originals or published transcripts) are listed in the FamilySearch Library Catalog for Sevier County, Utah Genealogy. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see public libraries.
The 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 U.S. federal population schedules of Sevier County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see Utah Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in national indexes, try checking local indexes. Created by experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than nationwide indexes.
See Utah Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
- 1880 - The area between Richfield and Gooseberry Valley was not enumerated.
Churches and Religious Groups
- Church Records(microfilmed originals or published transcripts) are listed in the FamilySearch Library Catalog for Sevier County, Utah Genealogy. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see public libraries.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons)
Click a church unit name in the chart below for its history, boundaries, and availability of records, which are often in microfilm format
|Sevier County, Utah Genealogy guide to history and records of LDS wards and branches|
Stake(s): Sevier Stake, Utah · North Sevier Stake, Utah · South Sevier Stake, Utah Aurora · Central Valley |
Ethnic and Other Groups
NOTE: Unless otherwise mentioned, the events below were gleaned from Wikipedia for Sevier county.
Land and Property
Naturalization and Citizenship
Small town newspapers contain obituaries, birth or death notices, community news (such as the visit of someone's relatives), legal notices and provide historical content. See Utah newspapers for tips, resources, and details.
Obituaries may mention birth, marriage, spouse, parents, and living family members. See Utah Obituaries for state level compendiums and United States Obituaries for tips and insights regarding this record type.
Obituaries for residents may be found in:
Officials and Employees
Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.
In Utah, such records may be difficult to find. Try records of the church they may have attended. Realize, however, that such records may have not been preserved, and would not be in the typical records of membership.
It is possible there were records kept by civilian authorities. Ask town or county officials and local librarians and the State Archives. Also try National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections (online).
County seat: Richfield
Family History Centers
search parent counties
Utah Death Certificates 1904 - 1956 -A free internet access to the 1904-1956 death certificates can be viewed at https://www.familysearch.org/ . Utah requires a death certificate before a burial is completed. A death certificate may contain information as to the name of the deceased, date of death, and place of death, as well as the age, birthdate, parents, gender, marital status, spouse and place of residence.
Utah State Burial Index for death before 1904
On USGenWeb Archives Sevier County, Utah you will find 44 bios of Sevier County residents.
Towns and Communities