Shawnee Indian Agency (Kansas)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Shawnee Agency in Kansas was established in 1855 from the division of the Kansas Agency. The agency had headquarters in Westport, Missouri from 1855 to 1861, in Lexington, Kansas from 1861 to 1863, in De Soto, Kansas from 1863 to 1869, and in Shawnee and Olathe, Kansas from 1869 to 1871. By 1871, most of the Shawnee Indians living in Kansas had moved to Indian Territory and became attached to the Cherokee Agency, the Quapaw Agency, or the Sac and Fox Agency. The Shawnee Agency in Kansas was discontinued at the end of the year 1871, although some correspondence concerning the settlement of affairs in Kansas continued through 1876.
Agents and Appointment Dates
Robert C. Miller 1855, William Gay 1855, Anselim Arnold 1856, Benjamin J. Newson 1858, James B. Abbott 1861, H.L. Taylor 1866, Reuben L. Roberts 1869
Letters received by the Office of Indian Affairs from the Shawnee Agency, 1855-1876, have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M234, rolls 809-823. Copies are available at the National Archives and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll numbers 1661539 thru 1661553).
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found