Difference between revisions of "Sherman County, Texas Genealogy"
(added newspaper intro)
(add tax information)
|Line 126:||Line 126:|
==== Taxation ====
==== Vital Records ====
==== Vital Records ====
Revision as of 19:12, 1 April 2013
Guide to Sherman County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Sherman County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||August 21, 1876|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Sherman County Courthouse
701 N 3rd; PO Box 270
Stratford, TX 79084
County Clerk has birth, death, probate and court
records court records from 1903, marriage and land
records from 1901, burial records from 1895, divorce
records from 1914 and commission court minutes
1876--Sherman County was created 21 August 1876 from Bexar Land District. County seat: Stratford 
Places / Localities
- Sherman County Cemeteries ~ partial listing ~ TXGenWeb Sherman County
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Texas Escapes Listing of Texas cemeteries with transcriptions and lots of pictures.
1890 Sherman County Census ~ statistics only
1900 Federal Census ~ transcription
Local histories are available for Sherman County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
God, Grass & Grit : History of the Sherman Trade Area, Vol. I
compiled and edited by Marylou McDaniel
(Hereford, Texas: Pioneer Book Publishers, Inc., 1971)
God, Grass & Grit : History of the Sherman Trade Area, Vol. II
compiled and edited by Marilyn Albert
(Seagraves, Texas: Pioneer Book Publishers, Inc., 1975)
God, Grass & Grit : History of the Sherman Trade Area, Vol. III
compiled and edited by Marilyn Albert Harkins
(Mt. Vernon, Ind.: Windmill Publications, 2000)
Ask your local library about borrowing these books through interlibrary loan, or contact:
Sherman County Depot Museum
Hwy 54 & Main
Stratford, TX 79084
Texas Museums ~ List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Draft Registration 1917-1918 ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Confederate Pension Applications ~ index ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Sherman County, Texas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- TX Newspaper Abstracts (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
Texas tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Texas Taxation.
1846-1910 Texas County Tax Rolls lists FHL films with county tax lists. The lists vary by county and year. Most records are between the years of 1846 - 1910.
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
- Sherman County Births ~ USGenWeb Archives
- Sherman County Deaths ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Sherman County Marriages ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Sherman County Divorces ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Sherman County Public Library
719 N Main
Stratford, TX 79084
Phone: (806) 366-2200
Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- USGenWeb Texas Archives Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Sherman County, Texas. Page 673 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).