Difference between revisions of "Sheviock, Cornwall Genealogy"
m (Text replace - "Overview, Include information for parish registers and Bishop's Transcripts, Contact information for the office holding the original records, Links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection." to "")
m (Text replace - "Images of parish registers are available online in historic records (formerly Record Search)" to "Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch")
|Line 153:||Line 153:|
Images of parish registers are available online
Images of parish registers are available online Images refer to [[Cornwall Record Office]] reference: P 208
=== Cornwall Online Parish Clerks ===
=== Cornwall Online Parish Clerks ===
Revision as of 15:55, 15 August 2014
Guide to Sheviock, Cornwall family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Sheviock St Mary contributor Tony Atkin
|Poor Law Union||St Germans|
|Registration District||St Germans|
|Parish registers: 1569|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1597|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
SHEVIOCK (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of St. Germans, S. division of the hundred of East, E. division of Cornwall, 3 miles (S. by E.) from St. Germans. 
Sheviock St Mary (Cornish: Seviek) is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall. Other places in the parish include: Crafthole.
The parish church of St Mary stands in the hamlet of Sheviock at OS Grid Ref SX370550: the building is of the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries. Two late 14th century tombs are thought to be of three members of the Courtenay family.
Themodern parish is part of Antony with Sheviock in the Diocese of Truro.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Sheviock, Cornwall Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Sheviock, Cornwall Genealogy Parish Online Records|
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 208
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for Sheviock Parish.
Sheviock's Online Parish Clerk also contributes to http://www.stoneyburn.ca/OPC_Web/ a website for the parishes of the Rame Peninsula including:
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241259.
Poor Law Unions
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks (Genealogy)
The section for Sheviock on the OPC website contains many records.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Add here any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 74-80. Date accessed: 25 March 2013
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 15 November 2013.
- 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- Arthur J. Jewers, 'Part of Sheviock Parish Register,' Notes and Gleanings: A Monthly Magazine Devoted chiefly to subjects connected with the Counties of Devon and Cornwall, Vol. 5 (1892):57-78. Digitised by Google Books - free.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 22 November 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.