Shuttleworth, Lancashire Genealogy
SHUTTLEWORTH, an ecclesiastical parish [as of 1847], in the parish and poor-law union of Bury, hundred of Salford, Southern division of Lancashire, 3½ miles (N.) from Bury; containing 2360 inhabitants. It lies on the road from Bury to Haslingden and Burnley, and comprises 2689 acres, whereof 200 are arable, 100 woodland, and the remainder pasture. The surface is hilly, rising from the banks of the river Irwell, which bounds the district on the west; the soil is principally a stiff yellow and black clay. On the hills are several coal-pits, whence the factories in the neighbourhood are supplied; and stone, also, abounds in the parish, a hard kind being much used for building, and a blue kind for flagging and gravestones. There are eleven cotton-factories, a large paper-mill, a corn-mill, and some bleach-works, established on the rivulets that run from the mountain side by which the parish is bounded on the east. The East Lancashire railway passes through. Whittle Pike, in the parish, is one of the most lofty eminences in the county, and was a chief station of the Ordnance surveyors. On another high hill is a tower, called Grants' Tower, built about twenty years ago, measuring fifty feet in height from its plinth of hewn stone, and observable at a considerable distance; it contains several rooms, and in the summer season is much visited by parties desirous of viewing the surrounding country from its top, which is capacious enough to accommodate fifty persons. Nearly the whole parish of Shuttleworth belongs to the Earl of Derby. The district was constituted in August, 1845, under the act 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37; and on the consecration of the church Feb. 12th, 1848, it became a parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of Manchester, alternately; net income, £152, with a house. The church is a substantial edifice of hewn stone, in the style of the 14th century, and has 129 sittings in pews, and 284 free seats; it was erected at a cost of £1900, on a site presented by the Earl of Derby, who also gave the sites for a parsonage and some schools. This was one of the first churches consecrated by the bishop of the new diocese. There is a place of worship for Independents, called Park Chapel, with a small endowment and a house for the minister; also a place of worship for Wesleyans, called Patmos Chapel.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 93-104. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51276 Date accessed: 21 July 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.