Slovakia Accessing Slovak Vital Records
Back to Slovakia Page►
Accessing Slovak Vital Records
The Family History Library has many Slovak church records on microfilm. The collection includes all existing parish registers from when they begin until about 1895. Please note that the records are cataloged under the name of the parish town and not under the name of your ancestral village. To determine the proper church jurisdiction you need to check the gazetteer first.
1. Go to www.familysearch.org.
2. Click on "Catalog" tab.
3. Select "Place-names" under Search and enter, for example, Dežerice. It is not necessary to enter diacritical marks.
4. From the choices that appear, select "Slovakia, Bánovce nad Bebravou, Dežerice" and click "Search".
5. Click on "Slovakia, Bánovce nad Bebravou, Dežerice - Church records".
6. Click on "Cirkevná matrika". Read the English summary of film content including language of the record.
7. Microfilm numbers are listed under "Film Notes".
8. Visit a local Family History Center to order your microfilm.
Places in the former Ruthenian territory called Sub-Carpatian Russia have three listings, such as Munkács, Bereg, Hungary, also listed as Mukačevo, Podkarpatská Rus, Czechoslovakia, as well as Mukacheve, Zakarpats'ka, Ukraine.