Slovenia, Prekmurje and Međimurje, Civil Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Slovenia, Prekmurje, Civil Registers 1895-1918 .
Title in the Language of the Records
Slovenija, Prekmurje, Država Registri
This collection contains civil registers recording births, marriages, and deaths for the residents of the Prekmurje area of eastern Slovenia from 1895-1918. The registers were created when this portion of Slovenia belonged to the Hungarian Empire so Hungarian county names are used in the browse, and the records are written in Hungarian. The records were acquired from the Maribor Regional Archive of Slovenia.
For a list of records by localities, document type and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browse.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information for collections published in FamilySearch.org. Source citations include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- Slovenia. Prekmurje, Civil Registers 1895-1918. Maribor Regional Archive, Maribor, Slovenia.
These birth records usually contain the following information:
- Date of registration
- Date and place of birth
- Child's name, gender, and religion
- Parents’ names, occupation, and religion
- Parents’ residence
- Mother's age
- Signatures of informant and registrar
These marriage records usually contain the following information:
- Date and place of the marriage
- Groom’s name and age
- Groom's date and place of birth
- Groom's occupation and religion
- Groom’s parents’ names
- Bride's name and age
- Bride's date and place of birth
- Bride's occupation and religion
- Bride's parents' names
- Names of witnesses and their residence (witnesses may be family members)
These death records usually contain the following information:
- Registration date
- Date, place and time of death
- Name, age, gender and religion of deceased
- Residence and marital status of deceased
- Name of spouse if married
- Parents' names if deceased is a minor
- Cause of death
- Signatures of informant and registrar
How to Use the Records
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "Historical Hungarian County" category
⇒Select the "Town or Registration District" category
⇒Select the "Record Type and Date Range" category which takes you to the images
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
- Use civil birth records to verify date and place of birth as well as to provide names of parents and their respective places of birth and approximate year of birth. Only birth records 90 years old or older are made available by the Hungarian government.
- Use civil marriage records to verify date and place of marriage and name of spouse as well as provide parents names for both the bride and groom. Only marriage records 60 years old or older are made available by the Hungarian government.
- Use civil death records to verify date and place of death as well as provide approximate year of birth, place of birth, names of parents and spouse. Only death records 30 years old or older are made available by the Hungarian government.
Research guides are available by clicking on the Hungary link below. It will also include "How to begin research", "Research Tools (incl. Common Hungarian Words)", and a history of Hungary.
Related Wiki Articles
Citing Family Search Historical Collections
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Citation Example for a Record Found in This Collection
|This citation example isn't from this collection. You can help by replacing this example with a citation for a record found in this collection.|
- “Delaware Marriage Records,” database and digital images, FamilySearch (: 4 March 2011), William Anderson and Elizabeth Baynard Henry, 1890; from Delaware, State Marriage Records 23 November 1913, no. 859, Delaware Bureau of Archives and Records Management, Dover; FHL microfilm 2,025,063.
- “El Salvador Civil Registration,” database and digital images, FamilySearch (: 21 March 2011), Jose Maria Antonio del Carmen, 1880; from La Libertad, San Juan Opico, Nacimientos 1879-1893, image 50; Ministerio Archivo Civil de la Alcaldia Municipal, San Salvador.