Slovenia Church Records
Back to Slovenia Page►
- In the early 1780s, Emperor Joseph II structured the parishes. He wished to limit the time required to get to the parish church and reduce the size of larger parishes.
- A tabular format for the registers was adopted in 1770 and modified in 1784.
- Evangelical registers were mandated in 1782, Jewish in 1779, Orthodox in 1864, Old Catholic in 1877, Baptist in1905, and Muslim in 1927.
- Transcripts (duplicate registers) for civil authorities were mandated in 1828.
- The term status animarum translates as “the state of souls.” They contain names and information about baptism, marriage, burial, and relationship to head of household for everyone living in a parish.
- Includes information on the house name (usually the Christian name of the person who built the house) by which the residents were sometimes known.
Church Archive in Ljubljana
Krekov trg 1
Church Archive in Maribor
Nadškofijski arhiv Maribor
Koroška cesta 1