South Africa, Church of the Province of South Africa, Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: South Africa, Church of the Province of South Africa, Parish Registers, 1801-2004 .
- 1 Title in the Language of the Record
- 2 Record Description
- 3 Record Content
- 4 How to Use the Record
- 5 Search the Collection
- 6 For Help Reading These Records
- 7 Known Issues with This Collection
- 8 Related Websites
- 9 Related Wiki Articles
- 10 Contributions to This Article
- 11 Citing Family Search Historical Collections
Title in the Language of the Record
Suid-Afrika, die Kerk van die Provinsie van Suid-Afrika, Parish registers
This Collection will include records from 1801 to 2004, with possibly some records before 1801.
The records in this collection include digital images of parish registers of the Church of the Province of South Africa, also known since 2006 as the "Anglican Church of Southern Africa". The Church includes dioceses in Angola, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia, Saint Helena, South Africa and Swaziland. Records were acquired from the collection of the William Cullen Library, University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, and include baptisms, marriages, deaths, and burials. The text of the records is in English and Afrikaans.
For a list of records by localities and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browselink from the collection landing page.
Baptism records may contain the following information:
- Date and place of baptism
- Child's name and gender
- Child's date and place of birth
- Parents' names and their residence
- Occupation of father
- Names of sponsors or witnesses
- By whom the baptism was performed
Marriage records may contain the following information:
- Date and place of marriage
- Race of the bride and groom
- Name and age of groom
- Groom's birthplace, marital status and occupation
- Groom's residence at time of marriage
- Name and age of bride
- Bride's birthplace, marital status and occupation
- Bride's residence at time of marriage
- Marriage by license or banns
- Names of witnesses
- Name of minister and religious denomination
Death records may contain the following information:
- Date and place of burial
- Name and age of deceased
- Residence at time of death
- Who performed burial ceremony
How to Use the Record
To search the baptism records, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Names of parents
- Approximate year and place of birth
To search the marriage records, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Name of bride or groom
- Approximate year and place of marriage
To search the death records, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Name of ancestor
- Approximate year and place of death
Search the Collection
To search the collection image by image
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page:
⇒Select the appropriate "Country"
⇒Select the appropriate "Province"
⇒Select the appropriate "Diocese, Town, and/or Parish"
⇒Select the appropriate "Record Type and Years" which will take you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Afrikaans. For help with reading the records, see the following wiki article:
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing Family Search Historical Collections
Citations for individual image records are available for this collection. Browse through images in this collection and click on the "Show Citation" box: South Africa, Church of the Province of South Africa, Parish Registers, 1850-2004
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information for collections published in FamilySearch.org. Source citations include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "South Africa, Church of the Province of South Africa, Parish Registers, 1850-2004." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing William Cullen Library, Wits University, Johannesburg.