South Carolina Gazetteers
From FamilySearch Wiki
|South Carolina Wiki Topics|
|South Carolina Background|
|Local Research Resources|
United States South Carolina Gazetteers
A gazetteer is a list and description of places. It can be used to locate the places where your family lived. Gazetteers describe towns and villages, sizes of population, rivers and mountains, and other geographical features. They usually include only the names of places that existed at the time the gazetteer was published. The place names are generally listed in alphabetical order, similar to a dictionary.
Several gazetteers of South Carolina have been published. These include:
- Palmetto Place Names by the Work Projects Administration in 1941;  Family History Collection book 975.7 E2w; film 1036708 item 3 WorldCat
- South Carolina Waterways As They Appear in Mill's Atlas by Mariam D. Cropper in 1977;  Family History Library book 975.7 E2c 1977 WorldCat - this book is very useful when a waterway is mentioned in deeds or land grants.The original map has been scanned and is available online, see South Carolina Maps.
- Names in South Carolina ; Family History Library book 975.7 B5d WorldCat - a periodical devoted to the study of South Carolina place names
- South Carolina HomeTownLocator: Current information regarding towns, cities and other features. Maps are linked.
- South Carolina Gazetteer & Business Directory, 1890-1891: Abstracted and posted on Colleton County SCGenWeb site.
- For more online resources for the United States, see US Gazeteers.
- Work Projects Administration. Palmetto Place Names. 1941. Reprint. Spartanburg, South Carolina: The Reprint Co., 1975.
- Cropper, Mariam D. South Carolina Waterways As They Appear in Mill's Atlas, Salt Lake City, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems, 1977.
- Names in South Carolina, 1954- Columbia: University of South Carolina, 1954-1983