South Dakota Newspapers
A few newspapers were published in the Dakota Territory in the 1860s and 1870s, but most began publication between 1880 and 1910. The genealogical periodical Black Hills Nuggets (see the "Periodicals" section of this outline) lists early newspapers which began publication between 1864 and 1883 (in vol. 5, issue 3).
The Family History Library has not acquired copies of many of the South Dakota newspapers. The South Dakota Historical Society and the state universities and colleges have the largest collections of newspapers. Their website allows you to search for a particular newspaper within South Dakota or to search for an area (county and/or town) and then by date. According to what was entered, a list of roll numbers will be given for the newspapers that has been filmed within those perimeters. These films are held at the Historical Society in South Dakota, but some of these films can be obtained for a fee through Interlibrary Loan.
- South Dakota Historical Society: Newspaper Lookup - http://www.sdhistory.org/arc/arc_npap.htm
- Newspaper Obituaries - http://www.ancestorhunt.com/south_dakota_newspaper_obituaries.htm
- Newspaper Abstracts -http://www.newspaperabstracts.com/index.php?action=displaycat&catid=356
- South Dakota State Library: Mega-Sites for SD Newspapers - http://www.sdstatelibrary.com/databases/SD.htm
- Listing of many of the South Dakota Newspapers (most of these are current newspapers, for older ones, click on the "South Dakota Historical Society: Newspaper Lookup" link) - http://www.rootsweb.com/~sdgenweb/state/newspapers.html