South Shore Holy Trinity, Lancashire Genealogy
A church was first built on the site of Holy Trinity in 1836. It was located amongst sandhills, in what is now Dean Street, South Shore. Designed by John Braithwaite, the church held 250 people. The church became a parish church in 1871. In the 1880s, damage to the building meant that a new church had to be built; it was completed in 1895. The new design was by Bolton architect Richard Knill Freeman. Holy Trinity was designated a Grade II listed building by English Heritage on 20 October 1983. The Grade II listing is for buildings that are "nationally important and of special interest".
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.
The modern parish church in the Diocese of Blackburn, the archdeaconry of Lancaster and the deanery of Blackpool.
"SOUTH-SHORE, a village, or hamlet, in the three townships of Layton with Warbrick, Bispham, and Great Marton, parishes of Bispham and Poulton, union of the Fylde, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire, 1¼ mile south of Blackpool. An ecclesiastical district was formed in 1836", and the [chapel] was built.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Church of England
South Shore chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Bispham to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk project|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|SOUTH SHORE HOLY TRINITY Chapelry (1836) Indexes|
| BISPHAM ALL HALLOWS PARISH (1599) Indexes (ancient parish containing SOUTH SHORE Chapelry)|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding South Shore and comprising the whole ancient parish of Bispham to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the BISPHAM PARISH page.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- Samuel A. Lewis:&amp;nbsp;A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 149-152.&amp;nbsp;Adapted. Date accessed: 21 July 2010.