South Shore Holy Trinity, Lancashire Genealogy
A church was first built on the site of Holy Trinity in 1836. It was located amongst sandhills, in what is now Dean Street, South Shore. Designed by John Braithwaite, the church held 250 people. The church became a parish church in 1871. In the 1880s, damage to the building meant that a new church had to be built; it was completed in 1895. The new design was by Bolton architect Richard Knill Freeman. Holy Trinity was designated a Grade II listed building by English Heritage on 20 October 1983. The Grade II listing is for buildings that are "nationally important and of special interest".
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.
The modern parish church in the Diocese of Blackburn, the archdeaconry of Lancaster and the deanery of Blackpool.
"SOUTH-SHORE, a village, or hamlet, in the three townships of Layton with Warbrick, Bispham, and Great Marton, parishes of Bispham and Poulton, union of the Fylde, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire, 1¼ mile (S.) from Blackpool; containing 531 inhabitants. The first house was erected in this now pretty hamlet in 1819, since which time many other houses have sprung up. The hamlet lies on the sea-shore, on a site a little elevated above it; and consists chiefly of a row of handsome cottages facing the sea, with baths and other accommodation for bathing. An ecclesiastical district was formed in 1836, of which the [chapel] living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Thomas Joseph Clifton, Esq., lord of the manor; income, £90, whereof £36 are derived from tithes, and the remainder from pew-rents. The church is in the early English style of architecture, with a tower, and cost £1700, raised by subscription. There are three schools in connexion with it."
From: 'Samuel A. Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 149-152. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51289 Date accessed: 21 July 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.