Southampton County, Virginia Compiled Genealogies
- Main article: Southampton County, Virginia
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
Southampton County, Virginia Surnames (courtesy: Linkpendium) contains links to more than 50 online resources about this county's families, including compiled genealogies.
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Southampton County families include:
- Chapman, Blanche Adams and Isle of Wight County Library (Virginia). Smithfield Branch. Chapman Collection of Virginia Family Names, Smithfield Branch, Isle of Wight County Library, 1635-1814. Original records in the Blanche Adams Chapman Collection, Smithfield Branch, Isle of Wight County Library, Smithfield, Va.; available on microfilm: FHL Collection
- Doyle, Stuart W. Roots Exposed the Lineage and Interrelationships of 15 Family Branches from Virginia's Sussex, Southampton and Greensville Counties. [Orlando, Fla.?]: S.W. Doyle, 2002. FHL Collection 929.273 D772ds [Includes Clanton, Graves, Heath, Hill, Hunnicutt, Maine, Massenburg, Reese, Seaborne, Smith, Vaughn, West, Wright and related families.]
- Joyner, Ulysses P. They Crossed the Blackwater: The First Settlers of Southhampton County Virginia. Orange, Virginia: U.P. Joyner, 2001/2003. Available at FHL; another edition is also available at FHL.
- Pritchett, John W. Southside Virginia Genealogies. CD-ROM. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2007. Free online index, courtesy: Virginians - The Family History of John W. Pritchett. [Includes a great deal of information about residents of Southampton County, see discussion of cited sources.] FHL US/CAN CD-ROM no. 3887. Purchase at Virginians.com.
- [Barham] Joyner, Ulysses P. From the Pagan to the Nottoway: The Occupation of the Land by the Europeans 1607-1800. Orange, Va.: U.P. Joyner, 2008. Digital version at Family History Archives; FHL Book 975.55 H2j.
- [Batte] Hamiln, Charles Hughes. "Batte and Allied Families: Genealogical Research Reports to a Client," The National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 60, No. 1 (Mar. 1972):8-12; Vol. 60, No. 2 (June 1972):103-107; Vol. 60, No. 3 (Sep. 1972):207-212. FHL Book 973 B2ng v. 60
- [Beale] Claypool, Edward A. Brief Record of the Descendants of Robert Beale. Typescript; available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Blake] Blake, Marlene. The Blakes of the Cape Fear. 5 vols. 2000?. Vols. 3-5 available at FHL.
- [Bowden] Bowden, Daniel J. The Bowdens of Southampton County, Virginia. Indianola, WA: D.J. Bowden, 1985. Available at FHL.
- [Branch] Ford, Ethel Taylor. Thomas Taylor and Benjamin Branch of Nashville, Tennessee and Related Families. Amarillo, Texas: E.T. Ford, 1972. Available at FHL; digital version at BYU Family History Archives.
- [Browne] Hollowell, Lucy Elliott. The Descendants of Dr. Samuel Browne of Bertie, Northampton, Herford Counties, North Carolina. Woodland, N.C.: L.E. Hollowell, 1972. Available at FHL.
- [Darden] Stonecypher, May Muse. Elizabeth Darden Tucker. Albany, Georgia: M.M. Stonecypher, 2001. Available at FHL; digital version at BYU Family History Archives.
- [Davis] Rawlings, Michael R. The Family History of D'earcy Paul and Lula Virginia (McKenney) Davis of Dinwiddie, Isle of Wight and Southampton Counties in Virginia: Being a Genealogical Outline of Their Descendants Covering the Years 1858-1996 and Assorted Sketches of Family Social History from the 1780s through the Present, Including Eight Generations. Spring Grove, Va.: M.W. Rawlings, 1996. Available at FHL.
- [Denson] Joyner, Peggy S. Jordan Denson ( -1806): Some of His Ancestors and Descendants and "Beechwood", Denson-Pretlow- Darden Ancestral Home, Southampton County, Virginia. Portsmouth, Virginia: P.S. Joyner, 1978. Available at FHL.
- [Drake] Drake, Robert Eldon. Descendants of Exum Drake. 5 vols. Orlando, Florida: R.E. Drake, 1977-. Vols. 3-5 available at FHL.
- [Drake] Dabbs, Miriam Adair. The Families of Matthew Bolivar and Sarah E. Richardson Drake. Clarksdale, Mississippi: M.A. Dabbs, 1984. Available at FHL.
- [Edmunds] Edmunds, Mary Stuart Green. "Edmunds Family," Tyler's Quarterly Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 17 (1935-1936):59-63, 111-117, 193-199. Reprinted in Genealogies of Virginia Families from Tyler's Quarterly Historical and Genealogical Magazine. Volume I: Albidgton-Gerlache. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Company, Inc., 1981. Free Name Search; publisher's bookstore: Genealogical.com; FHL Book 975.5 D2gvf v. 1.
- [Edwards] Edwards, Howell B. Edwards of Virginia and Georgia. Grants Pass, Oregon: H.B. Edwards, 1994. Available at FHL.
- [Flowers] Flowers, Loris. The Indian Branch and Swift Creek Flowers: Descendants of John Flowers. Darlington, South Carolina: L. Flowers, 2001?. Available at FHL.
- [Fly] Fly, James Whitney. Fly Family. 5 vols. Montgomery, Alabama: J.W. Fly, 1990-1992. Available at FHL.
- [Fly] Fly, James Whitney. Fly Family History. 8 vols. Montgomery, Alabama: J.W. Fly, 1998. Available at FHL.
- [Gurley] Gurley, A.E. and John Miller Bradley. Some of the Genealogical Notes Collected by the late A. E. Gurley, ca.1700-1937. Typescript, 1951. Available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Harris] Wiggins, Kathryn. The Harris Papers: A Genealogical Notebook. Camarillo, Calif.: K. Wiggins, 1968?. Available at FHL.
- [Harris] Wiggins, Kathryn. The Harris Papers: A Genealogical Notebook. 34 vols. 2nd ed.? Camarillo, Calif.: K. Wiggins, 1970?-1971. Available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Haithcock] See Hathcock.
- [Hasty] Hasty, Warren H. William Jordan Hasty and Descendants. Minneapolis, Minn.: W.H. Hasty, 2004. Available at FHL; digital version at BYU Family History Archives.
- [Hasty] Hasty, Warren H. Matthew Hasty and Descendants of Martin County, North Carolina. Minneapolis, Minn.: W.H. Hasty, 2005. Available at FHL; digital version at BYU Family History Archives.
- [Hathcock] A Research Note on the Origins of the Hathcock / Heathcock / Haithcock Families of Southampton County, Virginia 1740 - 1840. Original typescript, Smithfield Branch of the Isle of Wight Library in Smithfield, Va.; available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Heathcock] See Hathcock.
- [Ingram] Barnum, Dorothy Jeter. The James and Mary Kendall Ingram Family. Moultrie, Georgia: D.J. Barnum, c1988. Available at FHL.
- [Johnston] Johnston, Coy K. and Hugh Buckner Johnston. William Johnston of Isle of Wight County, Virginia and His Descendants, 1648-1964: A Genealogical Study of One Branch of the Family in the South. West Hartford, Connecticut: Coy K. Johnston, 1965. Available at FHL.
- [Joyner] Joyner, Ulysses P. Joyner of Southampton: A Study of Thomas Joyner of Isle of Wight County, Virginia and His Descendants in Eastern Virginia and North Carolina with Emphasis on the Joyners of Southampton County, Virginia. Verona, Va.: McClure Printing, 1975. Available at FHL.
- [Lanier] Ingersoll, Louise. Lanier: A Genealogy of the Family Who Came to Virginia and Their French Ancestors in London. Washington, D.C.: Goetz Printing Company, 1965. Digital version at World Vital Records ($).
- [Lowe] Lowe, Elgin Madison. Origin of the Lowe Family of Southampton County, Virginia, 1814-1993. 1994. Available at FHL.
- [Lumley] Francis, Don. The Lumley - Lumbley Surname of Isle of Wight and Southampton Counties, Virginia, 1730-1785. New York, New York: D. Francis, 1981. Available at FHL.
- [Massengill] Butler, Florence Roberta Walker. The Massengills: of Whitby, England, Virginia, North Carolina and Tennessee. n.p.: R.W. Butler, 2009. Available at FHL.
- [Persons] Walker, George Fuller. Persons Lineage. Atlanta, Ga., 1951.
- [Persons] Livingston, Virginia Pope. "Two William Persons of Virginia: Some Corrections of Walker's Persons Lineage," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 11, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1967):147-155. FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 11; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Pope] Austin, Jeannette H. Pope Genealogy. Riverdale, Ga.: J.H. Austin, 1987?. Available at FHL.
- [Powell] Berryman, Ann Williamson. Powell Families of Isle of Wight County and Southampton County Virginia: Three Generations, Thomas, William and Elizabeth Powell. 1992. Available at FHL.
- [Reese] Reese, Dora Hart. Norton W. Hart Family Tree. 1981?. Available at FHL.
- [Ridley] Futrell, Katherine K. and Southampton County Historical Society (Virginia). The Southampton Ridleys: Their Contributions to the Growth and Development of Southampton County. Typescript, Smithfield Branch of the Isle of Wight Library, Smithfield, Va.; available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Ridley] Hart, Lyndon H. and Bromfield Bradford Nichol. Ridley of Southampton: Being the Descendants of Nathaniel and Elizabeth Day Ridley of Southampton, then Isle of Wight County, Virginia, circa 1700-1992. Pensacola, Florida: B.B. Nichol, 1992. Available at FHL.
- [Rose] Rose, Christine. Abstracts of Early Virginia Rose Estates: Wills, Inventories, Accounts and Administrator's Bonds before 1850. San Jose, Calif.: Rose Family Bulletin, 1972. FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 A1 no. 56; digital version at Heritage Quest Online ($).
- [Slade] Slade, James L. Samuel Slade of Southampton County, Virginia: Ten Generations of His Descendants 1750-2007. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma: J.L. Slade, 2008. Available at FHL.
- [Taylor] Taylor Family of Southampton County, Va., Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 22, p. 46; Vol. 23, pp. 104, 218, 323, 435; Vol. 24, pp. 102, 213.
- [Taylor] Duke, Walter Garland. Henry Duke, Councilor, His Descendants and Connections. Richmond, Va.: Dietz Press, 1949. Digital version at Family History Archives; FHL Book 929.273 D885d.
- [Thorp] Nelson, Margaret Van Ness. Summary of Information about the Norman Barnes Thorp Family from Southampton County, Virginia and Clinton County, Ohio. Powell, Ohio: M.V. Nelson, 1991. Available at FHL.
- [Vick] Vick, John L., Benjamin David Vick, and Virginia Vick King. A Short Sketch of the Vick Family. Originally recorded in nineteenth or early twentieth century, copied in 1939, recopied in 1967. Available at FHL.
- [Vick] Perrin, James M. Reverend Newit Vick, Founder of Vicksburg, Mississippi: His Ancestry, Relatives, and Descendants. Hammond, Louisiana: J.M. Perrin, 1990. Available at FHL.
- [Vick] Adkisson, Floy Jean. Vick Family History. Kerrville, Tex.: F.J. Adkisson, 1990. Available at FHL.
- [Wellons] Wellons, James Willis. A Historical Sketch of the Wellons Family. Richmond, Va.: Central Publishing Company, 1910. Available at FHL; digital version at BYU Family History Archives.
- [West] Stone, Letta Brock and Leonardo Andrea. West Genealogical Research, 1550-1950. Manuscript collection; available on microfilm: FHL Collection
- [Westbrook] Jones, Blair. Westbrook and Allied Families (Foster, Barker, Fort, Sandefur, Lambert-h, Hanson. Pell City, Ala., 1967. FHL Book 929.273 W521j.
- [Whitehead] Davis, Eliza Timberlake. Whitehead Family of Isle of Wight and Southampton County, Virginia. Original typescript, Smithfield Branch of the Isle of Wight Library in Smithfield, Va.; available on microfilm: FHL Collection
- [Whitehead] Dimond, E. Grey. The Reverend William W. Whithead, Mississippi Pioneer, His Antecedents and Descendants: Including Some Notes Concerning the Whiteheads of the Isle of Wight and Southampton;, Virginia; Edgecombe, Halifax, Nash and Wake, North Carolina; Wayne, Indiana Territory; La Porte, Indiana; Points West; and Those Massacred in the Nat Turner Slave Uprising of 1831. Kansas City, Missouri: Diastole-Hospital Hill [and] E.G. Dimond, 1985. FHL Collection
- [Williamson] Dixon, Elizabeth Williamson. The Williamson Family of Isle of Wight County, Virginia, Southampton County, Virginia, Northampton County, North Carolina, Caswell County, North Carolina. Typescript, 1958; available on microfilm: FHL Collection
- Name Search at Genealogical.com is a comprehensive name index to 638 books and CDs published or reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Company (now Genealogical.com). For a complete list of the works included, see Publications in Name Search at Genealogical.com