Southsea (Welsh: Glan yr Afon) is a village and ecclesiastical parish in the county borough of Wrexham in Wales. Southsea forms part of the community of Broughton. The village took its English name from the former South Sea Inn in Broughton, during the 18th century. According to historian Alfred Neobard Palmer, the name Southsea is "an absurd name which should never have been adopted, especially as there was an appropriate name ready to hand in 'Glan yr Afon'."
The present church of All Saints was converted from the former church hall, which was consecrated for use as a church on 15 April 1984. There were two earlier churches dating from 1884 and 1926.
A further chapel of ease was opened within the parish of Southsea, at Tanyfron in 1897.
|pre 1536||Powys Fadog|
|1536 - 31 March 1974||Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Wrexham|
The parish of Wrexham, and later the parish of Southsea, formed part of the Wrexham Registrar's District.
Nonconformist Church Records
Births, marriages and deaths in Southsea are recorded in the GRO indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 1974||Wrexham||Wrexham|| XXVII (1837-51)|
Poor Law Union
The Wrexham Union was created on 30 March 1837 and Southsea formed part of this. A workhouse was built at Croesnewydd in Wrexham. The records of the Wrexham Union are now held at Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin.