Spencer County, Indiana Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
September 1833 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
Civil War service men from Spencer County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Spencer County.
- 1st Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company F
- 10th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Companies G, and M
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company H
- 25th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies D, E, and K
- 42nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B, and D
- 53rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 65th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- 91st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Compamy E
- 115th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (6 months, 1863-4), Company G
- 117th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (6 months, 1863-4), Company F
- 120th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 136th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company I
- 28th US Colored Troops, Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Spencer County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).