Difference between revisions of "St. Andrews Parish, South Carolina"
|Line 71:||Line 71:|
==== Taxation ====
==== Taxation ====
Revision as of 00:24, 22 June 2011
Before the American Revolution, the state church of South Carolina was the Church of England (the Anglican Church, or Protestant Episcopal Church). Besides keeping parish registers, the church kept many records of a civil nature in their vestry books. The Vestry was as much a political body as a religious one. The wardens and commissioners were responsible for the roads, education, the poor and orphans, voting and collecting taxes in addition to their church duties.
St. Andrew's Parish (Ashley River Road, Charleston, Charleston, SC) was created in 1706 as an original parish from the southwest part of Berkeley (1682-1768) County. It is the oldest church building still in use in South Carolina.
Borders: St. Philip's, St. James Goose Creek, St. Paul's, St. George since 1717, St. John's Colleton since 1730, and St. Michael's since 1751 parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina. An overlay of districts is available at Carolana.com.
Areas Served: St. Andrew's Parish has served:
More than 1,000 graves at St. Andrew's Parish Cemetery are described at Find A Grave. Includes transcripts and photographs.
Members of the DAR did a survey of St. Andrew's Church Cemetery:
- National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution. Cemetery Records of South Carolina. Typescript. FHL Book 975.7 A1 no. 11. [Includes St. Andrew's Church in Charleston County.]
- Smith, Henry A.M. "Old Charles Town and Its Vicinity, Accabee and Wappoo Where Indigo Was First Cultivated, with Some Adjoining Places in Old St. Andrews Parish," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 16, No. 1 (Jan. 1915):1-15; Vol. 16, No. 2 (Apr. 1915):49-67. Digital versions at JSTOR ($).
For a history of the parish, see Chapter 17, St. Andrew's Parish, pages 336-344, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
St. Andrew's Parish Register has been abstracted:
- Webber, Mabel L. "Register of St. Andrews Parish, Berkeley County, South Carolina. 1719-1774," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 12, No. 4 (Oct., 1911), pp. 172-189; Vol. 13, No. 1 (Jan., 1912), pp. 21-41; Vol. 13, No. 2 (Apr., 1912), pp. 104-112; Vol. 13, No. 3 (Jul., 1912), pp. 154-162; Vol. 13, No. 4 (Oct., 1912), pp. 213-223; Vol. 14, No. 1 (Jan., 1913), pp. 20-35; Vol. 14, No. 2 (Apr., 1913), pp. 81-97; Vol. 14, No. 3 (Jul., 1913), pp. 147-159; Vol. 14, No. 4 (Oct., 1913), pp. 209-218; Vol. 15, No. 1 (Jan., 1914), pp. 39-50; Vol. 15, No. 2 (Apr., 1914), pp. 97-106. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
Webber's reading of the marriage register has been reprinted:
- Holcomb, Brent H. and Thomas L. Hollowak. South Carolina Marriages, 1688-1799. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1980. FHL Book 975.7 V2hsc v. 1
|St. Andrews Parish||1699-1783||C506601||x||x|
|St. Andrews Parish||x||x||1714-1774||M506601|
South Carolina Historical Society holdings: "St. Andrew’s (Episcopal) Church. Charleston. Register. 1719-1783. 1 vol. Typescript."
- "Births (1720-83); christenings (1719-96); marriages (1714-74); mixed records (1830-99). Printed in this magazine in 1913-15."
-  "1785 Tax Returns," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 5, No. 2 (Spring 1977):89-93. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 5
- St. Andrew's Parish Church Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
- "Carolana in 1729" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/Carolina/Settlement/carolana_1729_counties_precincts_parishes.html (accessed 21 May 2011).
- "South Carolina Counties and Parishes 1750" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_counties_parishes_1750.html (accessed 20 May 2011).
- St. Andrew's Parish Church Marker, The Historical Marker Database, accessed 17 March 2011.
- Hugh Wallis, IGI Batch Numbers for South Carolina, USA, accessed 14 September 2010; See also Computer Printout of Births or Christenings, 1697-1783 FHL Film 1002423 Item 1.
- Margaretta Childs, and Isabella G. Leland, "South Carolina Episcopal Church Records," South Carolina Historical Magazine 84:259.