St. Davids Parish, South Carolina
Historic St. David's Parish, now known as St. David's Episcopal Church, located in Cheraw, South Carolina, serves the area of historic Cheraws District, which, since 1785, has been Chesterfield, Marlboro, and Darlington counties.
During the Revolutionary war St. David’s Church was used as quarters for the South Carolina militia and as a hospital for the British troops under Major McArthur, who was under Lord Cornwallis’s command.
In addition to religious purposes, South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."
- Lost parish registers: 1768 to 1818
- St. David's Episcopal Church. Women's Auxiliary. Chapter B. Old St. David's, Cheraw, South Carolina, 1770-1947. Cheraw, S.C.: Lillian Lovelace, 1975. FHL Book 975.763/C1 K2o
The original parish registers are kept in [Charleston?], South Carolina. Copies of a transcript: FHL Film 22742 Item 6. Published abstracts:
- Holcomb, Brent H. and St. David's Episcopal Church. St. David's Parish, South Carolina: Minutes of the Vestry, 1768-1832; Parish Register, 1819-1924. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1979. FHL Book 975.763/C1 K2h
- General Tax Collection List, Parish of St. David, 1783-1787, Darlington Flag, Vol. 20, No. 1 (Winter 2008).
- Brent H. Holcomb, St. David's Parish, South Carolina: Minutes of the Vestry, 1768-1832; Parish Register, 1819-1924 (Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1979), introduction.
- Wiki Contributors, "Cheraw, South Carolina," Wikipedia, accessed 25 January 2011.
- "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.