St. Davids Parish, South Carolina
During the Revolutionary war St. David’s Church was used as quarters for the South Carolina militia and as a hospital for the British troops under Major McArthur, who was under Lord Cornwallis’s command.
Before the American Revolution, the state church of South Carolina was the Church of England (the Anglican Church, or Protestant Episcopal Church). Besides keeping parish registers, the church kept many records of a civil nature in their vestry books. The Vestry was as much a political body as a religious one. The wardens and commissioners were responsible for the roads, education, the poor and orphans, voting and collecting taxes in addition to their church duties.
Areas Served: St. David's Parish served:
- Cheraw and part of Georgetown districts 1768-1800
- Chesterfield, Marlboro, and Darlington counties since 1785
- part of Liberty County 1785-1798, and thereafter part of Marion County since 1798
- the north tip of Kingston County 1785-1801, and thereafter the tip of Horry County
- part of Florence County since 1888
- part of Lee County since 1902
- Dillon County since 1910
- Lost parish registers: 1768 to 1818
- St. David's Episcopal Church. Women's Auxiliary. Chapter B. Old St. David's, Cheraw, South Carolina, 1770-1947. Cheraw, S.C.: Lillian Lovelace, 1975. FHL Book 975.763/C1 K2o
For an early history of the parish, see Chapter 14, St. David's Parish, pages 326-327, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
The original parish registers are kept in [Charleston?], South Carolina. Copies of a transcript: FHL Film 22742 Item 6. Published abstracts:
- Holcomb, Brent H. and St. David's Episcopal Church. St. David's Parish, South Carolina: Minutes of the Vestry, 1768-1832; Parish Register, 1819-1924. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1979. FHL Book 975.763/C1 K2h
- General Tax Collection List, Parish of St. David, 1783-1787, Darlington Flag, Vol. 20, No. 1 (Winter 2008).
- Old St. David's Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- Wiki Contributors, "Cheraw, South Carolina," Wikipedia, accessed 25 January 2011.
- "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
- "South Carolina Districts and Parishes - 1770" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_districts_parishes_1770.html (accessed 7 May 2011).
- "South Carolina Districts and County - 1785" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Early_Statehood/sc_statehood_1800_districts_counties_1785.html (accessed 24 May 2011).
- Brent H. Holcomb, St. David's Parish, South Carolina: Minutes of the Vestry, 1768-1832; Parish Register, 1819-1924 (Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1979), introduction.
- "South Carolina Districts and County - 1792 to 1799" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Early_Statehood/sc_statehood_1800_districts_counties_1799.html (accessed 24 May 2011).
- "South Carolina Districts - 1810" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/1800s/sc_1800s_districts_1810.html (accessed 24 May 2011).
- "South Carolina Counties - 1890" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/1800s/sc_1800s_counties_1890.html (accessed 24 May 2011).
- "South Carolina Counties - 1910" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/1900s/sc_1900s_counties_1910.html (accessed 24 May 2011).