St. Francis County, Arkansas Genealogy
|St. Francis County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||October 13, 1827|
|County Seat||Forrest City|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Pioneer Times
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
The St. Francis County Courthouse is located at:
313 S Izard St
Forrest City, AR 72335-3856
St. Francis County; 313 S Izard St; Forrest City, AR 72335-3856; Ph. 870.261.1725 Details: (Co Clk has m rec from 1875, pro rec from 1910 & tax rec; Clk Cir Ct has div, ct & land rec)
When St. Francis County was formed in 1827 the county seat was temporariliy located in the home of William Strong, a prominant citizen, until it could be moved to the new town of Franklin. It remained in Franklin until 1840 when it was moved to Madison. In 1855 it was moved to Mt. Vernon. In 1856 the courthouse burned and the county seat was moved back to Madison until 1874 when a vote was taken to move once again to the rapidly expanding Forrest City that began as a railroad construction camp for Nathan Bedford Forrest.
After the original frame courthouse in Forrest City burned in 1874 a brick building was constructed that was used until the current building was built. Many of the earlier record books in the current courthouse are laminated derivitives and a number of originals are stored at the St. Francis County Museum, 603 Front Street, Forrest City, Arkansas.
The county records have been burned three times. The first time was in Mt. Vernon in 1856. During the War Between the States the records were moved to a frame home in the woods. The woods caught fire and the home and records burned. After the records were moved from the brick courthouse in Madison in 1874 to a frame building in Forrest City, they were burned again, ostensibly by someone trying to destroy criminal evidence.
Some deeds have been reconstructed back to the 1860's, but most county records begin in 1873 or 1874.
Places / Localities
- St. Francis County, Arkansas Obituary Collection From GenealogyBuff.com ~ Free. From Various Funeral Homes in Forrest City, Hughes, Madison, Palestine, Wheatley, Widener, Caldwell, and Colt.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- St. Francis County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- History of St. Francis County, Arkansas 1954, Fred N. McCollum Sr., Publisher, Robert W. Chowning, Author, Published by the Times-Herald Publishing Company, Forrest City, Arkansas, 1954 pp. 8 and 10. Copy in the Arkansas Room, Forrest City Public Library.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- History of St. Francis County, Arkansas 1954, ibid.