St. Francis County, Arkansas Genealogy
|St. Francis County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||October 13, 1827|
|County Seat||Forrest City|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Pioneer Times
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
The St. Francis County Courthouse is located at:
313 S Izard St
Forrest City, AR 72335-3856
When St. Francis County was formed in 1827 the county seat was temporariliy located in the home of William Strong, a prominant citizen and the first county sherriff, until it could be moved to the new town of Franklin. It remained in Franklin until 1840 when it was moved to Madison. In 1855 it was moved to Mt. Vernon until 1856 when the courthouse burned and the county seat was moved back to Madison until 1874 when they were moved to the current county seat, Forrest City.
Places / Localities
- St. Francis County, Arkansas Obituary Collection From GenealogyBuff.com ~ Free. From Various Funeral Homes in Forrest City, Hughes, Madison, Palestine, Wheatley, Widener, Caldwell, and Colt.
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- St. Francis County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).