St. George Dorchester Parish, South Carolina
South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."
- Borders St. Andrew's, St. Bartholomew's, St. James Goose Creek, St. Matthew's, St. Paul's parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina.
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide: St. George Dorchester Parish, available online, courtesy: South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
Select graves at St. George's Parish Church Cemetery are described in various Find A Grave databases:
- Old Saint Georges Anglican Church Cemetery (18 graves)
- Saint George's Parish Church Cemetery (10 graves)
- Saint George's Episcopal Church and Cemetery (1 grave)
A 1726 Census for St. George Dorchester Parish survives. It was taken by Rev. Francis Varnod and is kept in the Archives of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in London (Letter dated 21 Jan 1726, Reference A19, 104). It lists the names of heads of household and statistics on white men, women, and children, as well as slaves. Abstract:
- Floyd, Randleson A. "Names and Number of the Inhabitants of St. George's Parish, South Carolina as Inclosed in Mr. Varnod's Letter of 21 January 1725/6 to The Society for the Propogation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 33, No. 2 (Spring 2005):77-79. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 33
For an early history of the parish, see Chapter 18, St. George's Parish, Dorchester, pages 345-350, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- Parish Church of St. George, Dorchester, The Historical Marker Database
- The Bell Tower of St. George's Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- Parish Church of St. George, Dorchester, The Historical Marker's Database, accessed 17 February 2011.
- "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
- This source is discussed in Philip D. Morgan, "A Profile of a Mid-Eighteenth Century South Carolina Parish: The Tax Return of Saint James', Goose Creek," The South Carolina Historical Magazine, Vol. 81, No. 1 (Jan. 1980):51-52. See footnotes. Digital version at JSTOR ($).