St. George Parish, Georgia

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 19:35, 29 March 2012 by Cottrells (talk | contribs) (Text replace - "RTENOTITLE " to "go to ")

Jump to: navigation, search

United States go to Georgia go to St. George Parish

Before the American Revolution, the state church of Georgia was the Church of England (the Anglican Church, or Protestant Episcopal Church). Besides keeping parish registers, the church kept many records of a civil nature in their vestry books. The Vestry was as much a political body as a religious one. The wardens and commissioners were responsible for the roads, education, the poor and orphans, voting and collecting taxes in addition to their church duties.


St. George Parish (location, GA) was officially created in 1758 as an original colonial parish.


Borders: St. Matthew, St. Paul, and St. Philip parishes. For a map, see: Map of Georgia's Colonial Parishes (courtesy: GeorgiaInfo).

Areas Served: St. George Parish served: FIX

Modern equivalent: The original parish covered part of what is present-day county.



Land and Property

  • Bryant, Pat. English Crown Grants in St. George Parish in Georgia, 1755-1775. Atlanta, Ga.: State Print. Office, 1974. FHL Book 975.8 R2be.

Parish History

Parish Records