St. Helenas Parish, South Carolina
St. Helena's Parish serves Beaufort County, South Carolina.
In addition to religious roles, South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."
- Borders Prince William, St. Bartholomew's, and St. Luke's parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina.
- "Inscriptions from St. Helena Churchyard, Beaufort, South Carolina," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 32, No. 2 (Apr., 1931):131-147; Vol. 32, No. 3 (Jul. 1931):205-237. FHL Collection 975.7 B2s v. 32 (1931); digital version at JSTOR ($).
For an early history of the parish, see Chapter 22, St. Helena's Parish, Beaufort, pages 375-381, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
In 1951, FamilySearch microfilmed a typescript of the parish register: FHL Film 23296
|St. Helenas Parish||1683-1822||C506581||1683-1822||M506581|
The vestry books have been published:
- Salley, A.S. Minutes of the Vestry of St. Helena's Parish, South Carolina, 1726-1812. Columbia, S.C.: Historical Commission of South Carolina, 1919. FHL Book 975.799/B1 K2s; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- St. Helenas 1712 (official website)
- St. Helena's Church Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- St. Helena's Episcopal Church Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
- Hugh Wallis, IGI Batch Numbers for South Carolina, USA, accessed 14 September 2010.