St. Helenas Parish, South Carolina
In addition to religious roles, South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."
- Borders Prince William, St. Bartholomew's, and St. Luke's parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina.
- "Inscriptions from St. Helena Churchyard, Beaufort, South Carolina," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 32, No. 2 (Apr., 1931):131-147; Vol. 32, No. 3 (Jul. 1931):205-237. FHL Collection 975.7 B2s v. 32 (1931); digital version at JSTOR ($).
- Baumhofer, Hermine Munz, "Economic Changes in St. Helena's Parish, 1860-1870," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 50, No. 1 (Jan., 1949):1-13. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
For an early history of the parish, see Chapter 22, St. Helena's Parish, Beaufort, pages 375-381, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
In 1951, FamilySearch microfilmed a typescript of the parish register: FHL Film 23296 Abstracts have been published in:
- Barnwell, Joseph W. and Mabel L. Webber. "St. Helena's Parish Register," [1752-year], The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 23, No. 1 (Jan. 1922):8-25; Vol. 23, No. 2 (Apr. 1922):46-71; Vol. 23, No. 3 (Jul. 1922):102-151; Vol. 23, No. 4 (Oct. 1922):171-204. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
|St. Helenas Parish||1683-1822||C506581||1683-1822||M506581|
The vestry books have been published:
- Salley, A.S. Minutes of the Vestry of St. Helena's Parish, South Carolina, 1726-1812. Columbia, S.C.: Historical Commission of South Carolina, 1919. FHL Book 975.799/B1 K2s; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- St. Helenas 1712 (official website)
- St. Helena's Church Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- St. Helena's Episcopal Church Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- Chapel of Ease Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- Chapel of Ease, The Historical Marker Database, accessed 17 February 2011.
- "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
- Hugh Wallis, IGI Batch Numbers for South Carolina, USA, accessed 14 September 2010.